Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Mather INTRO TO WATERCOLOR: Week Four...trees/bark/techniques/masking resist

AD0-FREE BLOG

This watercolor basics class seems to be flying by. Mondays come so quickly---last week I didn't get to work on anything, so I forced myself to play after class yesterday.

oldnewgreenredo

Our handouts this week, were trees/bark/grass with paying particular attention to light sources.  Ruth shared her palette box...all cleaned up---I never have a clean palette(S), LOL!

We did work on some interesting techniques. I sectioned off my sketchbook to make little samples of these.

oldnewgreenredo

It's so gray today after stormy weather, these were hard to photograph.

oldnewgreenredo

Blue TOP: I did a wet on wet  Prussian blue stripe under a wet on dry stripe above---they melded and then I sprinkled canning salt. Note to self to buy some Kosher salt, and maybe some Himalayan crystals ??? Very Cool effect, you just leave it on to dry and then brush it off...Might be great for backgrounds for sure.

Green Brown: I did a double color load on a mop brush across the page. (I misunderstood when it said pencil shavings...SO... I sprinkled a bunch of wood shavings across this, but what the instructor meant was to shave watercolor pencil lead into the wet paint..(that's the lime green bits). I'll have to experiment with this more, but I really like the textures from the wood shavings. It was also suggested to sandpaper or emery board the pencil lead onto the paper for speckles. (Interesting idea)

oldnewgreenredo

TOP: Pink/Green  following the pencil shavings, I used some dry and semi-dry flower petals into this wet pink/green stripe. I think you might have to use very dry petals and somehow press them down to dry. This may be worth experimenting with.

Bottom: Cobalt Blue and Prussian blue wet-on-wet and then squish a sheet of cling clear wrap onto the surface, pull up and neat stuff happens. Other suggestions, bubble wrap, synthetic place mat material, fabrics, lace, trims....anything that will absorb some the color and make a pattern.
 
oldnewgreenredo

This one wasn't suggested on the sheets, Wet on Wet brown on the left and Wet on Dry on the right. Then I quickly draped cotton twine on the paper...again, it may need some pressure...a bit of mono-print making basically--one shot and you get what you get.

oldnewgreenredo

I used white color pencils (L-Derwent and  R-Prismacolor) to see if I could keep-white after painting. Results not white, but nicely subtle... We talked about wax resist pencils and crayons---but then you can't paint over the white. Water base resist is really gummy, and I had just enough not hardened in the bottle to play with later.

Our next lesson was about bark/trees/grasses. We talked about light/sources as well as atmospheric shading...
how far away is duller and less detailed while in the foreground you have more detail and brighter/intense colors. Ignore that strip of lime...it got away from me, grins.

oldnewgreenredo
I've been using a good quality sketchbook for lessons and practice bits, so the paper isn't quite as reactive as watercolor paper which becomes expensive for scribbling and playing. I'm more adventurous this way.

This tree study is done from the given photograph the class used. I concentrated on the light source and the bark. I gave the sky background a very light wash...of blue/gray. I'm concentrating on layers in painting, working a bit, then walking away and letting it dry. The tree isn't perfect in shape or proportion, but again this wasn't a finished picture, but a working lesson. All the shadows are made with complementary colors...greens use added reds or blues use the oranges to get my shade colors. I add Payne gray mixed to get even darker shadows with the complements. It's really interesting to play with the shading and to work in layers.

oldnewgreenredo

Our Dahlias are finally blooming on the porch after making mounds of greenery with all our rain. 
Definitely worth trying to paint, the leaves have so much texture to them.

oldnewgreenredo

I have five Mandevilla plants, three which are blooming bonkers...who couldn't resist wanting to paint these.

oldnewgreenredo
1

I'm planning a painting mixing all these elements and our crazy Baby Tears that are just so lush and textural. What a challenge?

I also wanted to use the last drops of resist to cover the Dahlia points. (I have to get a new bottle...UGH $$$$) I grabbed an old watercolor pad and took a damaged sheet to play on and to do some color studies and see if the resist would work for the white tips on the Dahlias.

oldnewgreenredo

The 50's color scheme reminds me of the first home I remember as a child...the wallpaper my mom chose and fabrics were all in these tones. 

Again, I worked in layers, not trying to duplicate the flowers/greens but make an interesting composition and work all sorts of tones onto the paper.  Yesterday was great bright sunlight, but today is very gray day with artificial light and I couldn't get the colors to photo accurately on the painting. The yellows/greens are a bit brighter in real life.
 

oldnewgreenredo

I'm really liking working in layers...it gets quite moody, Paynes Gray with the greens and complementary reds and a touch of other yellows here and there. 

oldnewgreenredo

The resist peeled off nicely and I was able to layer in the colors of the Dahlia petals. Gosh, I think I used Vermillion, Thalo Red, and Cadmium red light as well as Chromium green (very opaque) and Prussian blue for leaves to be opposite the deep reds.

I'm glad I made this study---I may do one more and add more gold tones, and try to figure out how to add the metal plant stand, or just a simple shelf for the top pot to sit on? 

oldnewgreenredo

My light sketch on real paper has me using elements of all three flower photographs.  I may do a few more studies...before I challenge the whole thing.

WISH ME LUCK!!

If you enjoyed this post please follow this blog by Blogger or FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!

I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. 

Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog 
without my permission. 
Thank you for your cooperation, 

Sandi








10 comments:

  1. Both beautiful: flowers and paintings! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!! The flowers are doing good..First, I had to keep watering them to keep them alive and then they got water logged from too much rain from Hurricane Debby!! Hopefully, the ones I want to last into the Fall will continue to do go!! I hope you are having a good week!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit back, yes we just got drowned this evening after scalding temps and no water for over a week. Ha, the sprinklers were on while Mother Nature dumped 2 1/2" on us, such is gardening...lol.

      Delete
  3. Sandi, I am so proud of you. Your sketches are just beautiful and I love the wet on wet with the crumpled. Probably why it stands out to me is when I was doing ceramics, I used a sponge to do blue and white old fashioned sponge ware style pottery. It turned out pretty well and I sold a lot of pieces. Thanks for your encouragement on my painting. I love the style and find it easier to do for my abilities. Now I find I am racking my brain for new and different subjects to conjure up. I really loved your dahlia. xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Judy. And I certainly see a bunch of cards and small prints from your lovely pieces. Perhaps think of some seasonal themes or holiday themes. I would love your little world pieces with snow and starry skies...LOL. Hugs, and I missed two classes now because of internet was down and doctors appt. But I'm going to work with the handouts and do the samples this coming week. Gosh, no internet for 6 days, and taking 3 days to get everything working up to snuff...I GOT SO MUCH DONE, LOL. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  4. I've waited to read this for a long while so I could really take my time and digest and learn from it. Fascinating and well done. Boy -- I loved your dahlia. Wonderful. (I mean the painted one although the real deal is pretty lovely, too). I love also that you are not only experimenting with what the class provided but some of your own ideas too. It's really excellent. I'm enjoying your practice and your more "illustrative" pieces, too. Well done, my friend. Tell us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hi, Jeanies. Thanks so much...it really was a great class. I thinnk they may go national with some of the videos for the classes, as I am seeing they have opened up some other programs. I will work this week on some more pieces. I missed two classes now because of internet was down and doctors appt. But I'm going to work with the handouts and do the samples this coming week. Gosh, no internet for 6 days, and taking 3 days to get everything working up to snuff...I GOT SO MUCH DONE, LOL. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  5. That Dahlia turned out so good! I never could get the hang of Painting even tho' I could sketch. As you can tell I'm finally getting caught up with Blog Reading. Lately it's all I could do to just create a Post and finish it... been a crazy Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dawn, I know what you mean. This summer has been a waste for me, fighting some health issues, and totally incapable of dealing with the heat this year. I did think of you plenty as it took me over 3 weeks to get a 10x11 bedroom gone through. I still have two shelves in the closet and two upper book shelves done. Three dumpsters of papers and magazines and two trips to Goodwill...I'll never buy a magazine again. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!