Wednesday, January 27, 2021

My Favorites: Identifying Blue and White English Plates.

                                                                                                     Ad-Free Blog

England/Blue and White Treasures
and pottery lovers, buckle up!

I haven't done any Junking/Antique posts for quite awhile. Between 2019 being sidelined with my knee from May-January, and then Covid in 2020, my junking expeditions have been few and far between.


oldnewgreenredo

Decorating options for 2019 -2020 were limited. With our basement torn apart, I had no idea where any of my everyday pieces were. I found two totes with some of my favorite blue and white pieces for the kitchen this week.  I realized I had never shared some of these pieces and where/what they were. I'm starting with the English pottery pieces. Some very old, others not so much.

oldnewgreenredo

I don't remember how long (40 years???) I've had this piece...but it is gorgeous.
Wild guess in age?

oldnewgreenredo

This is the enhanced mark. Basically the only thing you can read is England in the lower part of the circle. It is a more earthenware clay than porcelain. The pattern name above in orangish and barely readable. After squinting at this long enough, I figured out it is Royal Winton 1930-1950's from the mark.

oldnewgreenredo

The pattern name is Westminster. R Winton apparently made this for awhile, since I'm finding it with varying marks and colorations. Everything from black and red to all blue to a green. However, many potteries used these old designs from the 1700's for their patterns. Pretty much like we cut and paste things from the internet now.

oldnewgreenredo

I grabbed these 4 sweet salad/luncheon plates this year, because they were perfect, and we seem to go through a lot of luncheon plates. I use anything that is blue and white for my everyday dishes. I gave up long ago--maintaining full set of everyday dishes. 

oldnewgreenredo

This is an easy find...Persian Tulip by JohnsonBros England probably from the 1950-60's. They can be pricey, I will save them for informal large family dinners, if we ever have any again. 
oldnewgreenredo

I had two of these, this morning! 

oldnewgreenredo

These are/were two of my treasures, I've had since the 1980's. Gorgeous deep dinner plates. 

oldnewgreenredo

RD NO 538202 in a ribbon

Kovels English Registry Marks state, "After 1883, the 

diamond shape was discontinued and “Rd. No.,”

followed by the number assigned to the ceramic, was

 used." No information on this plate of maker


Dating by this mark number, 1909 before September


I've always loved these two---sadly after placing one 

in the corner cabinet, on tape and a ridge of velcro---it 

took a flying walk/run off the shelf, pushing a cup with

 it and crashed to the floor. I was 4 feet away? 

WT??Poltergeist?? 


First time the two plates had been separated since I 

bought them? I had just packed the other away with 

my 'extras'. ????


oldnewgreenredo

This was an interesting piece, another one I have had for a long time.

oldnewgreenredo

Another prolific pottery, part of Mason's, this mark simply dates this 1891 or later. Pattern is delicate, and not over wrought. I like it, and it is porcelain, while  Ashworth ceramics usually were, ironstone, stoneware or earthenware. I had no luck nailing this glaze treatment or the exact pattern down.

oldnewgreenredo
oldnewgreenredo

I've grouped these as together as they are all scenic pieces. All from England, I use these for extra dinner plates, except for the Mayflower plate.


The mark on the right is Sole Importers, Jones Mc Duffee Stratton of Boston.

Below By Keith A. McLeod and James R. Boyle
"As near as we can estimate the 'system' went like this: an American business would express the wish to have a particular item or commemorative piece, Jones, McDuffee and Stratton, who employed artists would produce the artwork for the plate, for example, then send the order to Wedgwood, who would manufacture the ware, place Jones, McDuffee and Stratton's mark on the product and ship it to Boston to their warehouse on Farnsworth Street, which was connected to the Cunard White Star harbour facilities and to a rail spur. From the warehouse the china was sent across the United States and to Canada." from Alexis Antiques
This is a very interesting site, and will post it below also.

The JMS importers worked with Wedgwood for 75 years, to the mid 1950's. 
Dating this particular plate to the late 1940s because of the impressed mark.



This says, WEDGWOOD  
              30      46 or 48  maybe 1948.

oldnewgreenredo

This is a pretty one...it's a Spode from their series Rural Scenes. These are reproductions and were released in groups or singles in the 1990's. 

oldnewgreenredo

Clearly marked though---so you know you are getting a reproduction.

oldnewgreenredo

I picked up three of these for a pittance. They are Royal Stafford, which have in business since 1845. And, are still actually operating.

oldnewgreenredo

Listed as Coaching Scene, these are fairly recent, note dishwasher and microwave safe; always a give away, post 1970's.

oldnewgreenredo

Antique historical blue and white transfer ware patterns really sky-rocketed. My mom collected pieces and they literally got too high in price. Late 1970-80's many companies jumped on the reproduction bandwagon. These are lovely plates and 
made in the 1980's. 

oldnewgreenredo

Again the key is Dishwasher and Microwave safe...LOL. 

oldnewgreenredo

Here is a selection of Spode Plates. Spode has released MANY MANY patterns and pieces in their Blue Room Collections. All clearly marked. Making decorators penchant for historic blue and white affordable. New, they are still a little pricey, but I've picked most of mine up at TJM, Homegoods and thrift shops.

oldnewgreenredo

I love this Milkmaid...so peaceful, showing life in 1814.

https://oldnewgreenredoblog.blogspot.com/2021/01/my-favorites-identifying-blue-and-white.html

Again, clearly marked.

oldnewgreenredo

This is very traditional and from the 'Traditions' series.

oldnewgreenredo

Next such a rural scene...loving the border on this one.

oldnewgreenredo

Titled the Woodsman, from an 1816 engraving.

oldnewgreenredo

These are made so well. The serving pieces are well worth the extra dollars now, as they were limited issues.

Here is a real sleeper, I picked up for not even a song, 
just a hummm!

oldnewgreenredo

This pattern is really lovely! This dinner plate has such a lovely floral rim and intricate pattern. Soft blues to the true cobalt.

oldnewgreenredo

Script marks are always a bit hard to decipher sometimes. This pattern is Genevese?  and the maker mark in the lower left is ?? and an A lower center word and China on the right. The 'made in country' is missing from  the transfer, did not make it totally on? To Etsy--looking up Genevese....Wow! 

antiquemarks.com

The word on the left is Opaque, and it's 19th century Minton! The lovely blue plate was made 
between 1836-1841.

oldnewgreenredo

My last three are varied in style. 

oldnewgreenredo

This lovely Ridgways plate has a gold leaf overlay on the design, clearly visible at 10 o'clock upper left. I've always had rusts in my home and now a rusty red, so I have picked up pieces with the orange up over the years.
Ridgway and Ridgways were at least 17  long-lived Stoke on Trent potteries, started in 1792. This piece is from the Bedford potteries and was made between 1891-1920.

oldnewgreenredo

I used http://www.thepotteries.org to figure this out. I'm sure the hand-lettered numbers would date this down further if I needed it. It's over 100 years old..that is fine.


oldnewgreenredo

  This flow blue soup/serving bowl marked, Mark is impressed with /// Ashworth or EE or DB or BB dating this to 1862-1880.   This has a lovely clear glaze tinted with blue.

oldnewgreenredo

Early impressed Ashworth mark.

I found a few of these pieces, can you imagine an entire table being set with this. And, the serving pieces are gorgeous with huge platters. These were produced in England by the Staffordshire potter, G.L. Ashworth & Bros. Ashworth started his pottery in 1862 as part of Mason's and continued until 1890.


oldnewgreenredo

And the last photo for today, Botanical Beauties, also known as Giant Lily was produced by Elkin and Newbon of Stafford Street, Longton in Staffordshire sometime between 1844 and 1845. 
oldnewgreenredo

This pottery was short lived, but gorgeous and highly collectible. Many serving pieces were made in several variations of this pattern. I hope you enjoyed all or some of my English Transfer ware plates, old and new.

What is your favorite category to collect? 

Online Sources I use to start looking for English pottery, porcelain.

Pinterest: a good description of your piece, maker or mark will usually bring up something that looks similar. If you find a photo of your piece/pattern follow the trail of who/where it was posted from.

English Pottery marks, I think this is the best!
http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/
This site concentrates on the Stoke-on-Trent potteries. Great for identifying and dating marks. Follow the history of your searched company as well as the mark. 

Etsyhttps://www.etsy.com/ Many dealers are very knowledgeable, and if they list an items mark, or maker---you can possibly get info or at least photos of other pieces available by your maker or pattern. 

Rubylane: Lots of different items on here-many dealers extremely knowledgeable.  https://www.rubylane.com/

Kovels: While they want you to join, you can often glean enough information to look for other sources.
https://www.kovels.com/identify-an-antique-or-collectible

Mason's and Ashworth: Janice Paul is an authority/historian  on the history of Mason's and Ashworth pottery. 
https://www.janicepaull.com/xmark/marks.htm

Replacements: https://www.replacements.com/
This site is insane on their pricing, but will have great photos of popular patterns if you know the maker or the pattern name. Great for identifying what something looks like or pattern name. Also has silver and glassware.

Alexis Antiques: 
https://www.alexisantiques.com/links/jms.php


If you have a favorite source you use and want to share, I will be happy to list it here for others to use!

Please Join me at these fine blog parties:




Please do not use my photos without a link back to this blog without my permission.

Thank you for your cooperation, 
Sandi 
 



21 comments:

  1. WOW! Wonderful collection!How precious and treasured!Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you---I realize I have plates all over the house, these were just in the kitchen???? I think we are a bit crazy! Sandi

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful collection of blue and white transferware. They all tell a story and I am so intrigued with the markings on the back of each. My favorite are the stagecoach ones.
    Thanks for the nice comment on my Life In Lockdown blog, our walks in the woods. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thelma. Thanks so much for your visit. The coach pieces are wonderful, and very plentiful. I use them when the kids come for a casual Sunday dinner... someday again, soon. I sure hope so. We've shoveled today---almost 12", so no need for exercise for a couple of days! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandi. You have some really pretty pieces of blue and white. I collect anything of that color, old or new. I have two of the Coaching Scenes that looks pretty much like yours with the (ruffly) edgeing. Mine says it is Johnson Bros. but, yes, there is that ugly Diswasher safe printed on it. It doesn't say microwave safe so maybe it is a little older. haha..Still really pretty anyway..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Judy. I know my drawers are full of vintage pieces I use everyday. So many companies made coach scenes, and of course Johnson Bros. has made everything over the years. Everything gets put in the dishwasher, I hate washing dishes. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  4. These are so pretty, Sandi. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were perfect for Vintage Charm, hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  5. My head is spinning! After reading your post I got up to get 3 Spode dinner plates from my china cabinet to see if I could identify the years on them. One even has the pattern on it, "Morocco" by Copeland/Stoke/Spode and RD No. 265774 with the crown impressed on it, no "England" on these. Another favorite is 11 dinner plates that I use for Thanksgivings, with double gold bands and a walled village with tower and church and red 31675 on back, black 15,Copeland/Spode/England. And then I have a stack of gorgeous luncheon plates with gold edge, wide cranberry border and an urn of flowers in the center with white background. They say Spode/Copeland's China/England with a red mark of: R8200, a 4 under that. I was told when I bought them that they were done for a jewelry company in Chicago. There's no crown impressed on these. I went to your pottery link but will have to try further to see if I can figure out more.

    When we were married in the early 60s I chose Spode Blue Bird for my wedding china and have 14 dinner plates of that and various serving pieces. I still love them so much so you know that I love all your blue and white pieces. I also have odd pieces of other Spode like red and green Camelia and some old ship plates. And I've given stacks of Spode dinner plates and odd pieces to a daughter-in-law who collects pink and white china. I've only had one broken plate in all the decades I've used my best china so I know how much you hate losing the plate that walked away! But that doesn't stop me from using mine regularly, just as you do. That's where the pleasure is, using them regularly. I've so enjoyed your post on china marks! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, num, Dewena. You have quite a collection. I really just buy what I love, or stumble across. I have let quite a few go---just for the lack of space. Usually the impressed in the clay marks are the dating---for exact date, but they fill with glaze and are hard to read. And we use lots of blue and white everyday---some pieces I don't look up---but just use, because I love them! Hugs, glad you enjoyed the post! Sandi

      Delete
  6. Beautiful china I love the stamps on the back seems to take one back in time
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Annie. Chasing history is always fun, the Stokes on Trent potteries are always a fun blast in the past! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Can't match your stuff for age but I might match you for durability. Got married just over sixty years ago and VR's sister, alas now dead, gave us a Royal Doulton dining set, Falling Leaf pattern. Big deal, the new stuff should last. Yes, but hang on awhile. In 65 we decided to be adventurous, popped over to Pennsylvania (that's in the former colonies) and stayed there six years. Took the dining set with us as our "best set". But since we never got around to buying a "worst set" the Falling Leaf became our "everyday set". Then back into the steamer trunk, short detour stay with the in-laws in Folkestone, then on to Kingston-upon-Thames where we stayed 26 years. And still we hadn't got a "worst set". Only when we retired did we become truly middle-class.

    All that travelling and only one casualty. A medium-size plate. Pretty good, eh? Love that translucent china. And when you ping it with an 1816 solid-silver table spoon (gift from my Dad) it resonates in the key of Z-flat. The only sadness: Falling Leaf only appears at Christmas when there's a full family. So it gathered dust last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW...you dragged all that china everywhere...but Falling Leaf is a lovely pattern. At this point---use it everyday and enjoy it. I have two entire services for 12, one in Royal Copenhagen Blue Fleur and Bing and Grondal, Sand Rose...which I insist on using for Easter and Christmas---at least when we can have them. I do enjoy the English odd blue and whites and we use most of it everyday! Thanks for stopping by for the Dish history. Sandi

      Delete
  8. I loved seeing your plate collection. I have missed antiquing and thrifting so your post was almost as good as shopping! I, too, love blue and white china though very little of mine has much age to it. Last year I took my flat basket collection off my kitchen cabinet soffit (sp?) and put up some of my plates--several patterns of blue willows, souvenir plates, 1 Wedgwood, etc. I enjoy seeing them everyday. My "good" china is "Royal Mail" in blue (I don't care for the brown which is what I usually see!). Varied coaching scenes with signposts for Dover, London, Portsmouth. Well I grew up in NH next to Dover and 17 mi. from Portsmouth so I always thought that was special! I had to shop at one grocery store all summer to get enough "stamps" to buy it! Got a few of the serving pieces, too! My other good set is marigold Depression glass, Normanie, aka, Bouquet and Lattice. Love it for Thanksgiving as the grill plates are large and less gravy hits the tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, Kathy...use what you love. Sounds like you have some lovely pieces, and the historical plates are always fun, even if they aren't old. I let go of all my Mom's marigold Depression plates, for she had Franciscan Ware Apple pattern, and the glass went very well with that. My kids have those dishes...Can't keep them all, I could serve probably 50 people for sit down with some sort of place settings that are 'respectable', lol. Thanks for stopping by. Danish porcelain plates are deep like soup bowls, also great for gravy! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  9. Sandi,
    Loved seeing all your pretty blue and white plates!!! I have some of the same ones!! All so pretty!! I am thrilled that I have gotten my craft Room in order and was able to let go of a lot of things that I know I will not use... I still kept a lot of things from my selling days d in a year or so from now, if I find I am not using them up then I will get rid of those too and hopefully be able to pass them on to someone who will.Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by...Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie. I know we really need to find homes for some stuff---! Sadly my family were all collectors so I'm weeding through 4 generations. Hard to let some things go---but the kids won't want any of it...yikes, Hugs, Sandi and I'm still not getting your notifications...so I pop in when I see you post at a party! Hugs, and thanks for coming by! Sandi!

      Delete
  10. Hello Sandi! Great post. I LOVE your collection. Your scholarship is admirable, and I'm bookmarking your page so I can re-find your links.
    Genevese is my favorite of your blue and whites, and Ridgways plate is a style I admire but rarely see.

    I'm a fellow porcelain lover. (You will see that if you follow the link I left below, scroll to the end of the post to see... more china... What do I collect, well... porcelain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please delete this comment after reading, but you might edit your captions, many of them say oldnewgreenredo(?) and all the work that went into this post might be improved by fixing the captions. Posting can be so multi-faceted! Again, AWESOME post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opps, now I see that that your captions are your blog name, I'm so silly here. Forgive me. (Delete this comment also!) Yikes!

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!