Monday, July 1, 2019

World Watercolor Month Day 1:Primary Palette

AD-Free Blog

In my last post I wrote about #WatercolorMonth and my reasons for joining in. 

My rules are simple---ONE piece of paper ---NO-DO OVERS--intend to follow the prompt, but be open to SERENDIPITY, and HAVE FUN!

Day 1 prompt is Primary Palette, meaning red, yellow and blue. From my OLD stash I chose Grumbacher Academy Thalo Red, WinsorNewton's Artists Lemon Yellow, and WinsorNewton's Artists Cobalt Blue. These are the closest to pure color wheel colors I have. 


oldnewgreenredo

I put a dab of each color in my palette cups. The yellow gushed out some sort of liquid that was thick and gooey. The tube had settled and all the pigment was in the bottom half. The other two tubes were fine and had never been opened. I had to use a pliers. 

PERSONAL GOAL: on this prompt is to let the paints mix on the paper--and keep a pure palette.

oldnewgreenredo

My brushes are in feeble condition at best---OLD craft brushes I have used with the Grand for craft paint. The red handled ones are from a mixed set purchased for kid crafting. The flower handled brushes are OLD quality craft painting synthetic brushes. A foam brush is great for putting water on the paper.

oldnewgreenredo

After taping my paper down on my board, I did some sweeping brush strokes with the foam brush full of water, followed by dabs and sweeps of the pure colors. Immediately the color starts to spread and puddle as the paper swells. 

Sky, sunlight and maybe some flowers?



oldnewgreenredo

An overhead fan helped to keep my paint drying quick. Hoping to get some sort of 'green-ish' tones to occur, I layered strokes and dabbed on top of each other with blues and yellows. One brush produced the little 'ferret feet' when I dry brush and daubed paint on.  

I then spritzed areas with the water mister.
This is when SERENDIPITY kicks in.

oldnewgreenredo

Since I'm using sketchbook paper, it stretched very quickly into hills and valleys. I tipped the board trying to control...HAHAHAHA... the flowing of the colors. 
Fun part about watercolor is NOT controlling it! 
Go with the flow.


oldnewgreenredo

If you are compelled to control--wicking off excess water or color is easily done with q-tips or paper toweling for larger areas. Even another dry brush will remove paint from specific areas.

oldnewgreenredo


I Love how the colors do their own thing----! 

oldnewgreenredo

I walked away for a bit and this is what the blue bits did on their own, I then added red bits with the stubbly brush, aiming for flower centers.

oldnewgreenredo

These are flower impressions...again water spritzing blends this out more.

oldnewgreenredo

More daubing and shading with stronger colors on lower levels of the imaginary leaves and flowers. This is more coaxing than painting.  Finally I added some controlled brush strokes with the smallest brush, suddenly a container appeared and I went with that instead of a garden. 

oldnewgreenredo

Working in suggestions of leaves, vines, petals, flower centers. 
I stepped back---before it started to muddy up. 
Even with a limited palette be careful not to overwork your colors when a painting is wet.

oldnewgreenredo

GOAL: Here's my palette at the end, I succeeded in not mixing colors in the palette--the yellow/red to the right was basically an accident of sticking a brush in the wrong place. These paints will be useable again with water added. 



oldnewgreenredo

"Primary Colors"  Sandra Magle  #WatercolorMonth Day 1

There are bits here I really love, and some parts are ugh, but the important thing is I spent an hour and a half, not thinking about the heat, my knee, or politics. 
Sigh.......!
What are you doing for your soul, today! 

Disclaimer: Any products I am using are not a recommendation, but only for reference for the reader's use. I am in no way affiliated with any of the companies or products, or have I received compensation or products. 

I'll post my painting projects in a post, on Pinterest, Flickr and Facebook with the hashtag
 #WorldWatercolorMonth 














9 comments:

  1. I like your painting,I would love learning how to do it.It has been almost two years that I have stopped painting porcelains...I miss it sometimes.Hugs,Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Thank you, follow along as I try and regain some skills, long lost! Going to try and do the 31 this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I think you are rediscovering your skills and maybe realizing they weren't so lost as you thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you---just going to play and not take myself, too seriously!

      Delete
  4. This is so cool Sandi! I love how this watercolor came together so much. I've never seen the mister/spritz technique before. You are blowing my mind! I'm super excited about this creative adventure and I can't wait to follow along. It's beautiful. Hugs, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coco. I never did much watercolor before, but we used to have 'masters' come and do watercolor demonstrations for the big companies when I worked at the craft store..and I remember the spritzer from one of those demos---has to be a very fine mister in order to control where and how much water you want.

      I did take lots of 'craft paint' classes...and there are a few tricks I learned there, I'm going to try with watercolors.

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful and so creative. I would love to try something like this. Thanks for sharing at Welcome To The #Weekendbloghop hope you can join us at all the blog hops that are still open this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWWM...looks like a great event---all skill levels, I hope I can keep up!

      Delete
  6. So pretty, I would have made a mess :) Thanks so much for linking up at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 19. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!