Monday, December 11, 2023

Cookie Day 2023 and my two antique Recipes!

AD-FREE BLOG

Cookie Day was yesterday(Sunday), and flour was flying, laughter was ringing, and carols were humming in the background. We were only six this year...but maybe more fun than having 13 or so...LOL. And we made proportionally less cookies, which helped.

oldnewgreenredo

If I look tired, it wasn't 
because I did all these cookies alone.

oldnewgreenredo

Our stash of cutters got a work out -----
these are the newer Christmas ones...My husband is THE cookie cutter hoarder! 

oldnewgreenredo

 I set up everything in the middle of our huge kitchen table. Sprinkles are put on the Lazy-Susan. 

This is the last year I will buy pre-packaged cookie icing. I will invest in more tips and bags and mix the icing myself with powder sugar. cream of tartar, and vanilla. Sure works better than the prepackaged icing, tastes better too.

oldnewgreenredo

We went basic with the gingerbread this year and just white homemade icing, which sets up quickly.

oldnewgreenredo

Cooling racks are a must when you are making tons of cookies. The guys rolled out, and the gals decorated.
I've used this recipe for 50 years or so.


I was so happy to find Brer Rabbit molasses this year, that has such a super taste. 

oldnewgreenredo

These are my hubby's THICK Cookies---it's his grandmother's recipe so very OLD. We had the fifth generation making her cookies, yesterday! The recipe is probably older than that, too.

oldnewgreenredo

Really cute decorating the girls did, we all cut back on icing---lol, I know you can't tell. 

Alvina's OLD RECIPE for Form Cookies.
I use unbleached flour and have substituted Crisco for half the lard...but the consistency changes. Upside these are delicious, hold well, and  are perfect for decorating or just sprinkling sugar on. 

You can leave out the egg white and the icing is fine and dries nicely with just water 
added with the cream of tartar.

old newgreenredo

What's left to do this week---Klejner, Finksbro, Vaniller Kranse, Pound Cake, Pumpkin bread baked into gingerbread house forms-for gifts,  Peppernuts...and chocolate crinkles and coconut wreaths...I better get cracking, no elves to help with these! 

If you enjoyed this post please follow this blog by blogger or 
FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!


All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle

Sandi













 

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow, so many cookies and love those cutters.
    The gingerbread cookies, are they the hard crispy ones? I am gonna pin it as I am looking for a tried and tested crispy one to make as the others I tried failed me.
    I visited you via A “12 Days Of Christmas” Tree, Ordering Alaskan Salmon & My Fave Holiday Punch
    I linked up this week with = Raspberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies and Easy and Fun French Macarons. It would be awesome if you care to share your own links with us M-S at SeniorSalonPitStop. You will find it under BLOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thinner you roll them the crispier the gingerbread are...hubby likes everything thick and soggy, and he was rolling. I actually letting them dry out on the table for a couple of days, as they absorb moisture when you ice them also. I have to make my mom's coconut (macaroon) wreaths, or my kids would kill me...lol. But, I 'll check it out! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. This has me wanting to make Christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why we do the big batches together, sometimes we have 13-14 people here making cookies. This year was quiet...and 3 bottles of wine not inhaled...lol.

      Delete
  3. I hope that you share the rest of your recipes nextweek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have shared Finks Brod before...on this post, https://oldnewgreenredoblog.blogspot.com/2020/12/great-grammas-finsk-brod-adapting-old.html
      And, they are absolutely melt in your mouth with a bit of crunch too divine. Next week though as they don't keep that long. Thanks for visiting. Sandi

      Delete
  4. These sound so good! I am a cooky cutter collector, too and hardly ever use them. BUT, I have them!!! Even a state of Maine one, a lobster,...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't use any of our antique ones, which we have quite a horde...I usually use them in decorating, but not a stitch of anything is done in the house yet...ugh! or in Barbie World either. Sigh!

      Delete
  5. You are amazing! Oh my! I've only baked nuts this year (cookies are this weekend, after wrapping for mailing) and it will be power baking -- but I don't think I could gather that much power! This is fabulous. Do you do cookie plates to give away or have a very big family who loves cookies? I would eat them all! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well basically these are for 5 families and entertaining, and I have three friends I'm making plates for this next week. We each had two tonight of our Klejner...which are fried dough cookies, shaped like pigs ears and dusted with powder sugar, but I have hidden the cutouts...lol.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sandi! Your cookie baking extravaganza looks like such fun and the cookies turned out so cute. Cut out cookies always make it feel like Christmas! ❤Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they mean Christmas too, but it won't be until I make Gramma's poundcake. Just such a holiday staple, and my husband is moaning for kolaches. So we will see who wins on that! Hugs and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  7. Oh, my goodness, Sandi...I can't believe the work you all did. They look beautiful and yummy. I'm hoping to get some baking done after I master this little horror! Merry Christmas. xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's very fun in a group...and everyone loves their creations. I must say the homemade icing works so much better in a pastry tube ..than the purchased stuff, I really am going to switch over!

      Delete
  8. A stroke earlier this year greatly reduced my wife's mobility and I have taken over meal preparation. But not meal preparation as you would recognise it. More like snacks. During the two years beween my retirement and VR's I did actually cook the weekday evening meals; my high spot was fish pie and I did the white sauce from scratch, starting with a roux.

    But if I were to cook like that now I would become a kitchen drudge with no time for my writing or singing practice. Expert cooks (eg, both my daughters who live away from us) are wont to say that this dish and that "takes no time at all" but they are talking about themselves not me. They are able to put together, say, a casserole, stick it in the oven and leave it for X hours. Me, I'm peering through the front of the oven every ten minutes, lacking the confidence to be elsewhere.

    Then give up writing and singing, you no doubt say. And thus I would become intellectually dead. So it's a balance. And in my own defence I've written sonnets about my wife in the past. I create too, problem is my creations aren't edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, balance. The more I garden and am artistically creative the less writing I do. Which poet was that the wished words were food...seems to me I vaguely remember a long ode to the inedibility of words. LOL. Hugs to you for doing it all...you two have had a year, hope the new year goes better!
      Perhaps an electric airfryer/toaster oven with a auto-turn off timer would enhance and help with food prep. We both use that half the time for the same reason as forgetting..!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure inedibility isn't a word, but autocorrect didn't butt in.

      Delete
  9. Sandi,
    WOW! Such fancy cookies!! I am impressed..I make basic chocolate chip, mini peanut butter cup cookies, M&M cookies and a chewy gingerbread cookie, not using cookies cutters....My family prefers a little cookie with their candy!! LOL!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!