Monday, November 6, 2023

The Kitchen for Thanksgiving or the LOST HOLIDAY!

Ad-Free Blog
Wow, only two weeks away...Thanksgiving is just around the corner!

Saturday I went shopping with one goal in mind, to find some cocktail or luncheon napkins for Thanksgiving for the snack and dessert tables...NOTHING with rich colors or even a vibe of Thanksgiving. I believe it has become the LOST HOLIDAY...sadly!

Thanksgiving was always my mom's holiday, while Grandmother's had Christmas. She fussed and fiddled, and her home was always in earth and grass tones...so was perfect for the holiday. 

Oldnewgreenredo

I keep a lot of warm tones in our home also, despite all the blue and white.

The sunflower arrangements are for the moment still in the kitchen, I added some dark berries and some blue wild grasses, just to keep the Fall theme going. I may switch them out for dried look Hydrangeas before the holiday.

My last post I talked about cleaning---I did the windows, sills, high shelf, all the pottery items and the blinds (they were disgusting) and the floors.


oldnewgreenredo

I also added new greenery (Eucalyptus garland and fresh LED lights) above on shelf. The other stuff was quite old, and brittle, the lights were shot and not LED. 
All the Danish plates are very old, some from 1911, even and one from 1898. 

This morning I tackled the refrigerator which is quite empty at the moment, and chucked all the 'old'--what was it....stuff! Garbage day tomorrow so all that suspect stuff will be gone.

oldnewgreenredo

I didn't drag up all my 'Fall' dishes, but supplemented the blue and white with color, mostly naturals, dried gourds and dried flowers.

oldnewgreenredo

It's been four years since I dragged out my painted canvas artisan Pilgrims..upside they are heavy and secure my Turkey Platter into the Cabinet. That platter is HUGE.
A small fresh pumpkin and a few other multicolored pieces help finish this. 
Decorating is always a work in progress, and who knows what will be added or subtracted by the Holiday!

oldnewgreenredo

I can't give up my broom lady with her Danish proverb, "If everyone swept their own stoop, the whole world would be clean!" A great reminder to mind yourself and your own stoop! 

The arrangement is faux, but with natural grasses added in a tall blue glass vase. It really brightens up this corner which can be quite dark.


oldnewgreenredo

A full view of the shelf---everything on here is really antique except for the Pilgrims, the teapot is maybe from the 50's, everything else is really old.

oldnewgreenredo

Our side buffet, now hosts my pots of fresh herbs: Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary and Oregano. 
My Sage from the garden is drying on the back stairway...really is a recipe for Turkey day!

oldnewgreenredo

My favorite Teapot from a vintage dealer on Etsy is next to a blue stoneware crock I have had for over 50 years. The shoe is my Granmother's, while the little gnomes were found in a thrift store, they are porcelain and very nice. The homespun tablecloth was also Grandma's and is so soft from many years of washing it no longer needs to be ironed...YAY!

My Happiness is HOMEMADE sign is a reminder...to not BUY, but reuse and redo.
Still on the list to do are the cupboards with glass, amazing how scrambled the contents can get in a year. And, the sink window Hubby is going to have to do---ugh, that's a chore, but still needs to be done.
Our silver pieces haven't been used for awhile, and 
I need to choose which dishes to use, and tablecloths. 
I will use cloth napkins for the dinner table if I can find them.

oldnewgreenredo

The giant blue enameled coffee pot was minus a lid and found in a thrift store for a song. Maybe I will switch out the sunflowers, right now it's fine or I'll move it to the porch. One thing we can't redo or reuse is our settee and coffee table on the front porch.

oldnewgreenredo

This is the last photo of the table and the gold cushions to the right of the photo. We've had it for at least 20 years and all the legs had totally disintegrated. 
We took it apart and put the glass in recyclables, and stacked the metal pieces on the driveway. Two hours later the local metal pickers took it...and it will go to the recycle center. The cushions were really beyond hope and are ready for garbage pickup tomorrow.

We have all winter to figure out what we want to put on the porch, meanwhile, I brought up our metal bench from the backyard. Tonight we sat on the porch after ALL the Yardwork was finally done and actually had a beer, first one for me this year.

oldnewgreenredo

So with the kitchen 90% done, tomorrow I have to move on to the living room and the buffet. I'll serve snacks and dessert from here, so seasonal decor will be along the back, and I will be picking from my old items from the family stashes and of course, pumpkins, a turkey and some more Pilgrims. 

So we are getting ready to GATHER!

oldnewgreenredo

How are your Gathering Plans 
coming along?

If you enjoyed this post please follow this blog by blogger or 
FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!




All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle

Sandi








 

14 comments:

  1. Your home is cozy and inviting and looks so pretty for the season. I love seeing the sunflowers and all the pretty blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Jeanie. It is warm and inviting...and I can't give up the blue, LOL. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  2. Blue is my favorite color and I love blue and white in a home anytime of the year. Your home is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol. I sure enjoyed the blues in your posts. Sandi

      Delete
  3. What a lovely, inviting home you’ve created…love the vintage and the new!
    Enjoy 🍁🍁🍁 and don’t work too hard, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, V. Thanks, so much is very old---and then I find more old...but then, the 50's are over 70 years old...heck, I'm almost an antique. Thanks for stopping and visiting. Sandi

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, wish you could stop by and have some rich coffee and a cookie, !

      Delete
  5. Just perfect and ready for the holiday. My grandmother was the same way. Her home looked like a photo shoot for a catalog ♥ She took such pride in making everything look good. That was her enjoyment plus cooking a BIG meal for all of us. Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 138. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dee. Well the rest of the house is a wreck, so the kitchen got clean anyway! Sandi

      Delete
  6. What a welcoming atmosphere. I love the blue heirloom pieces and all the fall colors included. I love decorating for Thanksgiving with all the warm colors, too. Visiting from Grammy's Grid Unlimited. (I'd love to see you share this at my linkup as well, if you like: https://lifetalesbooks.blogspot.com/p/calling-fellow-bloggers.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Jennifer, I'll try and give it a look-see! Sandi

      Delete
  7. Your favorite cousin! 😁November 15, 2023 at 5:01 AM

    Sandi, your Dear Mother would be so proud of you as am I. This blog is so warm and happy with great ideas and happy feelings! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving your comment, Cuz! Yes, mom is quite everywhere in our home, and Dad, too. I may do a tour of the basement in January, if it ever gets 'glued' back together completely. HUGS, and have a Happy Thanksgiving! Sandi

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!