Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Unexpected Emotions Weave through an Art project.

Ad-Free Blog

oldnewgreenredo

I signed up for a creativity for the elderly program with the Mather Institute located here in Illinois in Evanston.  Open to Illinois residents over the age of 55, a box of craft supplies and directions arrived in September, and once a week classes began early in October. 

oldnewgreenredo

I will have to go out and buy an iron to show you the results of the first three projects, each a form of dyeing and fabrics. The dyes need to be set with heat.

oldnewgreenredo

Determined to see if I could follow directions, I had mixed results, but it was fun to visit with others on zoom and to experience the process of three different types of dyeing. 


I shared these photos when I first started the projects. The piece on the line on the right is described later here...a family placemat from Denmark.

oldnewgreenredo

Some cotton strings I dyed to be used in weaving.

oldnewgreenredo

The fourth project was a weaving project on a simple cardboard frame. It was supposed to be an aspiration weaving, where we wrote on strips of paper things like, I am worthy, I am beautiful, I am....yada, yada. At the age of 75, if I don't have my ducks of worthiness in a row, it's too late. 

Pinterest

  
Old card from Pinterest, from a location near my family's homes in Denmark. Typical fisherman attire in the late 1800-early 1900's in Denmark. 

The day before I had resurrected an old email account, and linked them into my current email. I received an email from an old genealogy account I had done for my mom on Family Search. The night before the weaving, I found my/her Mom's family. My grandmother Nellie had died at age 27 when my mom was 5. She had married my grandfather at age 19 and immigrated to the USA from Denmark. 

oldnewgreenredo

Nellie and Grampa's Immigration photo after marriage in Denmark 1919.

When searching for her family---I had kept hitting brick walls, I found her mother and her father, but that was it, due to script records that were basically illegible. Denmark has records going back to the 1400's through their church parish system as well as a centralized system of regional governments. Meticulous records were kept. The parish my grandparents were from was established in 1011...seriously 1200 years ago.  I knew my (Nellie's parents, my great grandfather and great grandmother were buried together in the church cemetery some 43 years apart. My great grandmother had died in childbirth in 1903, when my grandmother Nellie was 2.

Another family tragedy, young mothers with children left behind. From there the records were confusing, misspelled and translated only to confusion. It seems my great-grandfather was born into a large family and the common use of Jensen (son of Jens) was not the main surname of his family, but may have been changed before Nellie was born in 1901.

oldnewgreenredo

Great Grandfather's family farm early in the 1900's. He had at least 8 living siblings in 1908.

The updated information on both families opened a huge window...all the way back to the 1500's. We always thought my grandmother as a baby was farmed out to a family (common in N. Denmark) and perhaps abandoned by her young (21years old) fisherman father.

oldnewgrenredo

                     Nellie probably her confirmation 1913- or14.

Not true, a family where we thought she was a servant, was actually a huge family of Aunts, Uncles, and cousins, on the paternal sides as well as having another huge family on my great-grandmother's side. An altered spelling of GGrandmother's name had led to a dead-end back in the early 2000's. But, because the multiple surnames for all the children in the census, that was also so confusing. 

On Nellie's mother's side what was in the church records, was not the name in the regional records or census'. A letter in her first name, and two in her middle name were altered  resulting in the confusion. The Danish government finally required consistent family surnames for both men and women in the early 1900-1910's. Prior to that a woman was her firstname and then her father's first name and dotter (daughter)---ie. Ingrid Andrea Andersdotter. (daughter of Anders)

All the sen's at the end of male surnames---meant their father's first name and 'sen' or son such as Anders Jens Andersen- meaning Anders son. The change to standard surnames really messed up some records, as families---with too many of the same name, some family members chose an entirely different surname from perhaps a favorite person, or a deceased past relative. Not all these things were updated in church records or noted in census records. Property papers were more accurate---but property was passed usually to the eldest son or occasionally to a surviving spouse, but only if specified. 

oldnewgreenredo

Nellie and Grampa, with Mom aged 3 and my Aunt 1925 somewhere in Denmark

The only thing my mom remembered about her mother was blue-black hair and brown eyes. Strange from coming from mom who was so fair and light blonde. My aunt was a brunette later in life with brown eyes, but she had three tow-head children. It turns out I favor my grandmother Nellie in face and body build, with darker hair (died blonde since I was 19) and thyroid issues. I have the pale skin of my mother and dad and blue eyes.

With this revelation---which I need to follow up on in the future, there are so many generations of relatives to explore and try to find. 

oldnewgreenredo

I believe these are cousins---which I had earlier believed a sister. Nellie had a sister (Aste) who died after childbirth and her mother's death.

I have Nellie's immigration trunk, and a small box of memorabilia and photos of their early marriage. This was all put away in the attic in a small box along with some jewelry typical of northern Denmark....and forgotten, when my grandfather remarried in 1930.

My mother never dealt with anything having to do with all of this..it was like a locked lost chapter. When my great aunt, my grandfather's youngest sister was near 100 she finally told the truth that Nellie had died from a stroke at 26 and not from a jaw infection as we had all been told.

oldnewgreenredo
I believe these are my Great Grandfather's or Grandmother's parents (he remarried but had no more children) or possibly an Aunt and Uncle.

oldnewgreenredo

Grampa and Nellie in 1927 in Wisconsin, I think with my Mom.

Looking at Nellie's photos from her years of marriage and 2 children, she may have had severe lack of thyroid. The  problem with not sharing proper medical information is both my mom, my aunt, and myself have had thyroid issues. Nellie may have had low thyroid which led to weight gain, high blood pressure, all risks for strokes. I was luckily diagnosed in my early 30's and have been on medication since then, but the weight has always been a battle and blood pressure at times hard to control.

Looking at the NOW expansive family trees of 1/2 of my medical heritage, I'm a bit relieved to see few deaths other than early childhood deaths, but MANY long lives for the location and times. Phew!

oldnewgreenredo

After all this, the next day I began my weaving class----and listening to the instructor but, all my thoughts were on Nellie. She was worthy, she was surrounded with love,

She was memorable.


 Nellie was almost like an empty vessel, was now filled with family love in my mind.

I scribbled her name on one of the pieces of affirmation paper, then my grandfather's, my Mom and my Aunt and where they all lived as a family for the seven short years before she passed.

oldnewgreenredo

I had dyed a spare piece of Danish fabric, a very old stained fabric mat, woven with floss in a pattern that also included tiny Danish flags, weeks ago. I knew it had come from my  grandfather's home (built in 1922), and was very old. Nellie had lived there until her death. I had already attempted to remove the probably 80 or more year old stains. There had been left over dye...so I dipped it here and there in the different colors, blue, yellow, red. I had also dyed common cotton string. All the dyeing was done before my finds about Nellie.

While the instructor was talking I started to rip that little piece of hand embroidered linen into strips to use in my weaving. I pulled some dried grasses out to also use, similar to the grasses from the dunes on the North Sea of where Nellie she grew up. Since the emphasis was to not have a plan, but just go with the materials and things you personally added to those included in the kits.

oldnewgreenredo

Now I had affirmations.

Nellie existed, Nellie was a Mother, daughter, niece...

oldnewgreenredo

Nellie was loved, 

oldnewgreenredo

Now, Nellie is remembered.

Though this small weaving is completed, her story will continue. I will fill in the pieces and hopefully find some ancestors of these families. I'm sure no one is alive that remembers anything, but you never know, some family stories live on... and on.

The important thing is now I know and remember.


Have you every found out about Missing Family?

If you enjoyed this post please follow this blog by blogger or 
FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!





All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle

Sandi




10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This just grabbed me---I guess that is what art --any type is...emotions visually presented! Or maybe just a story. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what I most like about blogging, words and pictures that tell about everyday lives. What a rich collection of information and photos you have! I have barely any photos of my paternal line and have been searching back for a number of years. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, sometimes you wonder if anyone is out there! I have more now that I can follow---it seems when she died, it was a closed chapter in my family. My grandfather remarried in 1930...and brought his bride over to America to two kids, two dogs, and a goose in the backyard. They never had children, as bless my second grandmother- she thought her new daughters were perfect. This also might be why the lid stayed closed. Thanks for visiting! Sandi

      Delete
  3. The craft projects look fun, sounds enjoyable. Genealogy can become very time consuming and you just can't stop but it's always interesting to discover something new about or find a lost relative in your family tree. Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 138. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting...I don't have time to go back in now---and you are right, to confirm finds is the hardest. I learned from doing research for a professor in college you need at least 3 sources for every piece of information. So, it really is time consuming! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  4. What a Beautiful Tribute Art Creation to an Ancestor. Clearly some were taken too soon. There were Adoptions in our Family Lineage, my Paternal Grandfather was a Foundling of mixed race. In those days, many Tribes commit infanticide with Children born of a union like that and so Indigenous Mother's often left their Children to Non-Indian Childless couples willing to raise them like their own... we highly suspect that was his back story but no records, just verbal history handed down, a lot of it inconsistent. My Dad had a Younger Brother who they never got back and he never found out what happened to him. On Mom's side my Grandfather was Adopted by a Chinese Family and Raised by them when his Mom was Widowed and had too many Children to support. He knew who his Mom was, but immersed in Eastern Culture, Religion and Traditions. It is fascinating to try to trace Family Roots, alas, some Cultures didn't keep meticulous written History, both of my Parents came from Cultures with no written language, so we only had the Oral Histories handed down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dawn. I've so enjoyed your posts about family. I read them all, just don't always comment. Clearly, I should have worked on this when my great aunt and mom were alive. However, my mom had very little recollections. I guess, it will be revealed if it is destined to be...thanks for visiting, Sandi

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful Sandi, and so interesting! Your weaving is lovely, and your family history is fascinating. So fun that you found all that information. I did some of my family's history years ago before the internet, and it was a blast, but I bet it would be even more satisfying now. Thanks for sharing your art and your research - they're both completely inspiring! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom never really knew about who was who and what had happened. Her father remarried late in life, and I just don't have letters or anything about him until now. Thanks so much for your interest, and yes, the internet does make it easier, but also more complicated because of all the rabbitholes you stumble into...! Sandi

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!