Monday, August 2, 2021

Midwest Gardening: Midwest July , 31, 2021---HOT, STORMS, SUN, and SMOKE.

Ad-Free Blog

Quick post today because I have to go outside and garden again today! Temps are in the 70's so quick run outside, lol.

Shadowed in the back corner of our property is a small plot we call the 'Back 40' roughly the size of a small room. Anyway, Hubby has faithfully watered and we have pumpkin squash plants flourishing here in the shade. Very late for starting fruit, but we will see!

oldnewgreenredo

Behind the lattice is the compost pile, again, full of unintentional pumpkin plants. 
Mind you 2/3 of the seeds I planted never sprouted...but the freelancers are doing well.

oldnewgreenredo

On the North end, coming from the compost pile are multiple pumpkin vines and underneath is Rhubarb, I'm picking today.

oldnewgreenredo

Our shade is halfsun this year with the trimmed trees.

oldnewgreenredo

The on-going project, our flood plain with gravel and paver base. Eventually we will stone around the trees, too. This area dissipates our roof runoff. We had so many basement water issues, until we built and extension on the roof, and starting using paver base for run off areas.

oldnewgreenredo

I haven't cleaned up here for awhile, but all the perrennial starts still waiting for cooler weather to transplant safe in shade. And all my shade pots. It was SOOOOO hot the last part of July, yesterday was the first day out from hunkering down in the house. I plan to get this area prettified this week, if the weather cooperates.

oldnewgreenredo

Almost the last of the Day Lilies. You can hardly tell I thinned these out last Fall. This bed is do for a total redo this Fall.

oldnewgreenredo

The garden as is...with tons of tomatoes ready for picking! I think tomorrow I will be making sauce!

oldnewgreenredo

East side, is also busy being productive. I have no idea if I planted these, or if the birds did. Hoping they aren't invasive.

oldnewgreenredo

The yellow chair has not been replaced. A Zinnia pot is full of flowers.

oldnewgreenredo

This is two wood boxes of Hubbard squash plants and one or two buttercup squash plants. You can see the difference in the leaves..

oldnewgreenredo

Yes, you can grow squash on fences. If it gets too big for the vines, I will sling it with netting. 

oldnewgreenredo

The front pond area is colorful, enjoy this Rex Begonia finally coming back to life from the heat. It's been too hot and dry for this plant. 

oldnewgreenredo

Always we have hoses, hoses, we are constantly watering.  The Phlox exploded, and are almost done because of the hot temps.

oldnewgreenredo

Crazy spikes from the rose, and the brilliance of the Phlox. Honestly nothing is level in this photo.

oldnewgreenredo

Hubby working on the daily set-up of the watering. I wish we could do a permanent irrigation system. I do the pots, he moves the sprinklers. Rinse and repeat, repeat, repeat.

oldnewgreenredo

Speaking of pots, I caught our Elephant ears with perfect light---un-altered photo.

oldnewgreenredo

No fifteen-foot sunflowers this year...so many did not germinate---but of course the birds planted this one right at the landing of our front stairs! The air is full of smoke again today...hard to work and breathe. 

Midwest July 2021---HOT, STORMS, SUN, and SMOKE. 

Like much of the US and Canada, we have a constant haze here in Chicagoland. 
To all everywhere, Please stay safe! 

If You enjoyed this post please FOLLOW IT in the upper right hand corner, to get just one email of each new post

I will happily respond to every comment and answer every question!



Please visit these Link Parties:


Please do not use my photos without a link back to this blog without my permission.

Thank you for your cooperation, 
Sandi 
 
oldnewgreenredo



38 comments:

  1. Wonderful garden,Sandi.It reminded me my parents garden...There are seven months my mom and I have not been there. My sister takes care of it and this time of year- Winter- is the time when its beauty is more exuberant,lush.Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will get a chance to go home later, when it isn't so hot. My Dad, grew the best tomatoes, and when I find a really large red one, I think of him...and how happy he would be that we grew it. Smile, it is those memories to nurture, Sandi

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandi: Your garden always amazes me and all the work that you have to do, lovingly, I might add. You might just get the idea of how lazy I am becoming! Those plants that you don't know if your or the birds planted, look suspiciously like a few that have come up in our yard. I KNOW we didn't plant them so I'm guessing the birds. I have always called them an umbrella plant and have picked them occasionally to put in an arrangement. I think they might be the same. Hope your pumpkins do well. It is about that time for them..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Judy---I need to take a photo of the sunflower coming up the stairs, it is really a stupid place...LOL. Hugs, and yes it is work, especially when you get behind because of the heat. I honestly had 5' high weeds by my bedroom...sigh!

      Delete
  3. Your garden is just fantastic, and I love every image! We haven't been quite so hot as you but definitely getting the haze from the fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The haze is crazy---thanks for visiting, I hope for tons of rain to put those fires out for the NWest. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  4. Wow, you have so many things growing in your garden, and it must take forever to water...we have had the rainiest summer I an remember, I've hardly had to water or fill the pool and the grass looks like carpet. I love your painted dragonflies on the fence!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed with a very deep well..so the water is free, so to speak. The grass has gone crazy---after the 4 months of drought, it has recovered nicely. Thanks so much, Sandi

      Delete
  5. I love your line about the freelancers! My shade plants are the only things still doing well. All of the rain did a number on my flower pots. Oh, how I would love all those day lilies! Mine were always eaten by the deer before blooming, so they never filled in. I was able to save a few, and move to the backyard which is fenced in. This is the first year I've had a few blooms. Hoping for more next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy. We no longer have deer---so many developments have gone up around here. Still, lots of other critters...the bunnies love my sweet potato vine and are getting quite fat from that and thrown to the side birdseed. Good luck on your lilies...they were gorgeous for two weeks and then really gave up--I will be chopping down stems by the weekend, and then wait for another year. Thanks for stopping by. Please take some photos of your yard, I remember it is lovely!!! Sandi

      Delete
  6. Hi Sandy! It has definitely been hot in our part of Wisconsin with almost zero rain. Everything looks so crunchy and parched to say the least. The only thing thriving is our hostas. They are having a banner year! Your day lilies look especially beautiful. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jane. I know it has been a icky summer. Our family up towards Green Bay has been drowned...and other places, nothing. We've had almost three inches in the last two days...flowers are all flattened. Hugs, tomatoes have been excellent! Sandi

      Delete
  7. I loved seeing your garden photos-especially the sunflowers. Our birdseed was spilt inside our fire pit and I now have beautiful sunflowers :) Sometimes the volunteers are the strongest ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's funny in the firepit, I know we didn't use are at all this year because of the air quality. We are trying to have a pig roast though in Fall. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  8. Your garden is so beautiful and really thriving! I would love to start a small vegetable and herb garden in my yard but I still haven't figured out all the ins and outs for planting where I live. Our nights get to freezing temperatures by October and last until June, so it's hard to get the timing right. My day lilies have grown exponentially taller and fuller this year and will definitely need some cleaning up soon! And my rose bushes need some help soon as well. They have gotten so tall, I think some lattice is in order. Thanks for sharing and linking with me.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same temps as you do, Shelbee. What you might want to look into is a mini greenhouse (plastic) or shelving covered in plastic you can start plants in. Cold Frames made from old windows in the garden also work, fill plastic bottles with water which will hold the heat, or a few stepping stones to keep heat in at night. Good luck, and just try everything, and see what works. We used to garden in N.Wisconsin in cold frames, and it worked very well in a sheltered area. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  9. Sandi thank you for commenting on my blog recently. I don't know why, but your blog just disappeared from my reading list. Blogger is a fickle friend for sure. Your garden is lovely, I'm envious of your green thumb. And rhubarb! I haven't seen that in a garden since I was small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim. Blogger removed all the joined via their sign up system. Please rejoin via, Follow it, in the upper right hand corner of the blog! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  10. WOW! You have such a lovely garden, Sandi!

    I enjoyed the fabulous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...it's very green with the recent rain. Glad you dropped in, Sandi

      Delete
  11. What beautiful gardens! Everything looks like it is flourishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joanne. The yard is definitely in overdrive..lol. Great to have you stop by, Sandi

      Delete
  12. Good morning, Sandi. Gardening is not for the faint of heart and every year presents new challenges.I love the phlox and should be growing it. Your garden is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam. It sure has been a year, I'm looking at the tail end of three major storms here, power outages, and the yard looks like it went through an egg-beater. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  13. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for the info on the spammers from Sweden....Interesting!! I will be careful what I click on...Thanks for visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, mine finally gave up and dropped off this week. Still getting a goofy poster here and there. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  14. Hello Sandi, I found your blogs via your funny comment about raccoons and sweetcorn on Cherie's blog :) What a wonderful quirky garden you have! Love the unintentional pumpkin patch ...and intentional ones. Your Coleus and Elephant Ears are wonderful. I too have a growing day lily patch, but am happy to leave them for now as they are cheery. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yes, we gave up on sweet corn. Oh, I will post another crazy pumpkin this week or next. Thanks for visiting, I couldn't find where to sign up for your blog...please add me to a list...if you could! Sandi

      Delete
  15. What a fun, playful garden you have! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Amy. And thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  16. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for stopping by as often as you do and for leaving such kind comments...Yes, it is in the 90's here but I can dream of Fall which is my favorite Season of the year, can't I??? LOL! Right now we are getting pelted with the remnants of Hurricane Fred!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way behind on posting, just searching for inspiration and you are always busy with SOMETHING...grins! Saw you got really clobbered, we haven't had any rain for a week or so. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  17. Hi Sandi! You are such a talented gardener - everything looks beautiful. Those day lilies are gorgeous. I also adore the colors - I've never had luck with them. Have a beautiful week! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, good luck in your new home!!!Sandi

      Delete
  18. such a comfortable yard when seeing our garden full of decorative plant and colorfull flower. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, we normally enjoy it, but so hot right now!

      Delete
  19. Me again!! Wanted to stop by to thank you for your visit and for taking the time to comment!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!