Wednesday, July 28, 2021

When does furniture painting become an ART

Ad-Free Blog
Last week I ventured north into Wisconsin to meet up with two cousins. Sigh, we hadn't been together for almost four years. We picked an 'out in the county' location to do some shop perusing and have lunch.
What Fun! 
One of their favorite places was the Rusty Gate in Burlington, Wisconsin.

From the moment you pull up into the parking lot, you know you are in for something special.

oldnewgreenredo

A wonderful old bed, mounted on the wall greets you.
oldnewgreenredo

Despite the 90+ degrees, flowers in every imaginable container establish this is a 
HAPPY PLACE! 

oldnewgreenredo
I really loved the hodge-podge and riot of colors...all with VINTAGE touch.
Inside the high ceilings of the building and many full length windows fill the space with a soft light. 

oldnewgreenredo

Susie Myres, the owner greets you with a big smile a swish as she never stands still. The store is all hers, everything painted or curated by her, and it's divine.

In her own words, the Rusty Gate is Painted Furniture, Rustic Decor, Shabby Chic, Farmhouse, Steam Punk, Vintage Glam, and a bit of Industrial thrown in. 


oldnewgreenredo

A true artist, she fills the store with what she loves and it all seems to work together. 

This is where painting furniture becomes an artform.  She teaches online, and in the shop when Covid will permit, the many techniques she uses on the furniture (all of which is for sale or custom projects) displayed in the store.

oldnewgreenredo

Taking a 1920's dresser and turning it into a masterpiece for your home.



oldnewgreenredo

In this photo the piece is not so blue...but would work anywhere! 

oldnewgreenredo

Loving the shadowing on the raised details.

oldnewgreenredo

Not afraid of playing with color, this clay pink and ivory dressing table was a masterpiece. Notice the three- dimensional ivory facings on the drawers.

oldnewgreenredo

Accessories and hand-painted smalls were also for sale. Little 'This and Thats' make you want to take everything displayed home.

oldnewgreenredo

Here's the Hollywood GLAM. What makes this buffet so special are the lines, and the mirror inserts on the cabinet doors and drawers. Totally gorgeous.

oldnewgreenredo

Soft colored vintage rugs scattered across the floors add a touch of elegance and detail reflected in the mirrored cabinet door.

oldnewgreenredo

Cabinetry displays mini-vignettes of vintage and newer items, perfect for gifts.

oldnewgreenredo

Who can resist a Strawberry teapot?

The back room, used for classes was an artistic mess of activity and on going projects. Paints, stencils, stamps, and other items are available to finish your own vintage pieces.

oldnewgreenredo

Susie has such a great smile while wrapping my purchase of a large sheet stamp and a decorative molding silicone mold.

If you are interested in seeing more of Susie's artistry on furniture and other pieces you can check these out!



If You enjoyed this post please FOLLOW IT in the upper right hand corner, to get just one email of each new post


Please Join me at these fine blog parties:



Please do not use my photos without a link back to this blog without my permission.

Thank you for your cooperation, 
Sandi 
 
oldnewgreenredo
 

























22 comments:

  1. Oh, you didn't take that fabulous Hollywood dresser home with you...nor the strawberry teapot??=) This little wood heart which is painted, would think it had died and gone to heaven if I was to cross the threshold of that fabulous shop. How wonderful you could enjoy all the beauty with your cousins. It sounds as if you all had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kim, I painted furniture for my shop for years and also ran an art department in a large chain. As gorgeous as that dresser was--it was huge and my home is FULL...spilling out of the rafters. Now the teapot was tempting, again, my cupboards are FULL..lol. It was lovely! I invested in the expensive sheet stamp--for a few further projects of my own...sigh!

      Delete
  2. What a fun place! Looks like a treasure trove of goodies and inspiration, plus shopping with cousins, what a wonderful outing!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenna! Yes, it was. I feel for those with a brick and mortar store over this pandemic. Susie also had lots of as is pieces waiting for their make-over. Oh, to be a fly on the wall. Thanks for stopping by! Sandi

      Delete
  3. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! What a great place!! I would love to visit and shop there!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. It was visually fun and I really loved all her vignettes. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  4. Looks like such a fun place! Those dressers are amazing. And, how nice to spend time with your cousins. Sounds like it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy. Yes it was great, and I always appreciate creativity! If we ever get out of shut down, I'll take a class. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi.

      Delete
  5. Such beauty! Gorgeous dressers. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wouldn't they look lovely with your dishes!!! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  6. Sandy, if I went into that shop, I'm not sure I'd ever come out. What a glorious spot! Even better with people you love. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeanie, it was charming. Her website is interesting, on how they redid the building...lots of hard work. Thanks for stopping by!.

      Delete
  7. Me again...Thanks for stopping by...It gave me another chance to look at all the fantastic goodies in this lovely post!! Have a great day!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the vicarious shopping and loved the furniture and strawberry vignette! What a great place to gather ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, there were some really pretty things in there. I hope we don't got into lockdown again, for all the small shop owners out there. I doubt anyone could survive another shutdown formal or otherwise. Sandi

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, Sandi, what a lovely place to spend some time shopping around! I found myself zooming in on all of the photos so I wouldn't miss any of the cool vintage things! So fun! Thanks for sharing and linking with me!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelbee. I know...some of my photos didn't turn out...all here smalls were very interesting too. And, she carries a wide selection of transfers/paints/stamps/molds. I'm hoping to take a couple of classes if the covid numbers ever come down!

      Delete
  10. What a great place. I have a dresser that looks identical to the first one but it has it's original finish. I often thought of chalk painting it like this one, but I don't even have a place for it in my home and it's just sitting in my basement, so it seems kind of pointless to paint it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old dressers are amazing for storage. When I had a shop, I would stage old pieces like that for bedrooms, kitchens and even I painted one green for a porch and made a potting bench out of it. That was a beat up old dressing table, the mirror was covered in with chicken wire for hanging tools, and the small bench I made a planter out of. the center I put a galvanized bin for dirt. It sold so fast, I didn't get photos of it. Sometimes you have to think out of the box a bit to work pieces into your home or porch. Penny's Vintage Home often comes up with great furniture usages, take a look at some of her posts! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  11. Hi Sandi! Did you have a chance to stop in at 2 Fancie Gals when you were in Burlington? That's a cute shop too. And just up the road is Fox & Fork which is another charming shop. I grew up (and lived my entire life) and lived very close to Burlington before our move to Kentucky a few weeks ago. Looks like you saw some beautiful pieces. Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!