Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Garden Recipes: Canning Memories

Ad-Free Blog
Hello, sweet Readers!

So, I know we ALL have our favorite recipes for eating from the garden. One of the favorites here is Pickles: dill, sweet, refrigerator pickles, and my last post was fresh Danish Dill pickles.


Refrigerator Fresh Danish Dill Pickles: HERE!


A photo from last year,  Green Gardening with Swallowtail caterpillars feasting on Dill:  POST HERE.

We planted extra dill this year, of which we will let some seed, BECAUSE, seems the butterflies, especially Monarchs, like to lay their eggs on it, and the caterpillars feast on the juicy stems. This happens late in the season, so it is no loss of Dill, I actually have enough to keep Heinz pickles in stock, this year.

I learned how to can and freeze fresh food, when Mom and I used to do food canning during the summer up at their cottage in Wisconsin. The cottage was an old 1853 Farmhouse, you know the kind that start out as two rooms and then more rooms were added on---in every direction. 

Well, the  old cottage originally had a wood stove in the kitchen. Gosh, MOM just loved the old-fashioned way of cooking everything, even heating water for dishes before we added a water heater. There was a hand crank water pump in the kitchen connected to a cistern, water we used for washing floors and clothes. 

Anyway, the Wautoma area was the pickle and tomato capital of Wisconsin, and we would can tomatoes, and lots of other things, too.


This years tomatoes are gorgeous! Canning tomatoes post: here.Preparing Tomatoes for Canning or Freezing and Canning Tomatoes in January. Yes, you can freeze tomatoes whole in the skins and then can them. Perfect idea when you only have a few at a time, Freeze and save for a big batch. 


Today I did that big bowl tomatoes and 4 bags from the freezer. This made 19 pints this morning! Here, whole tomatoes are keeping warm and waiting to go into the water bath. 


Our one Son's favorite Corn relish: Canning Corn Relish


My Mom and I concocted this recipe from our supermarket brand canned zucchini ingredients list in the 1970's: Zucchini in Stewed Tomatoes  It's absolutely delicious!

We also did, 
green beans, three bean salad, wild plum jam, and lots of pickles: watermelon pickles, pickled beets, pickled choke cherries, slippery Jims, Dill, Sweet, and relishes. These were always shared with extended family members.We even tried Mom's favorite chutney--but nobody liked that. 


Fall was for canning jars of apple butter, apple sauce, pumpkin butter, and lots of baking for the freezer. We kept that old stove a-cranking, when it finally died (the grates disintegrated and we had a 'modern' stove, I don't think it was as much fun!

What sort of foods do you put up
 from your own garden? 
Please Share in comments: feel free to put a link back to your recipe post!


All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, unless otherwise designated. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.You can send me a note and just ask, though.

Thanks for visiting!

I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.
Thank you for your cooperation,

I will post at the following Link Parties, I hope you visit them. 



 Sandi Magle






12 comments:

  1. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for stopping by and for commenting on my Victorian Summer Day post!! I am a Victorian Soul!! I do not can but we recently bought a bunch of vegetables for our niece who does can and she will be giving us a jar or two of what she makes!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I always stop by your blog, though I may not comment--sadly that is what blogging has become. Thanks for visiting---enjoy your veggies! You should try a few containers with veggies along with your flowers!.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandi,
    I love that you can and bottle up your garden for the winter months. I bet that is so nice to have. I am starting to see signs of fall moving in to our area. Tree tops are beginning to change color already. I am holding on to every summer like day we get. I feel like I missed so much of summer with the move. Enjoy the holiday weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, your new home is coming along so nice...I know there are whispers of Fall. Some leaves are already falling, baked from the scorching sun we had this summer. It was too hot to enjoy this summer, unless you got up at 5 am. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. What a delicious post!Your tomatoes are great!Always a pleasure stopping by!Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi. I must admit I have never canned anything. Sad to say because it all looks so good. Even if I just had those pretty jars on my pantry shelf, I would be happy. Wow, you are very ambitious and it all looks and sounds so good. Thanks for your visit. Hoping we get a little more "fallish" weather now. I've had enough hot!..Happy Thursday and thanks for your visit..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy for visiting. Even though we always lived in the city---we have had a garden, even if it was a couple of pots on a patio. NOTHING is better than fresh cucumbers and pickles. Unwaxed and healthy...enjoy the rest of your summer--it will end too soon!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sandi, I am so happy I found your blog. Always good to get in touch with other food bloggers and I love what you shared here. Pinned it.
    I visited you via FARMHOUSE FRIDAY 312
    I linked up this week with = 37+38 and this is a friendly reminder to come and join us at SeniorSalonPitStop. You will find the linkup information under BLOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Slabs...love that name. Thanks so much for visiting. I don't blog that much food, just things that have practical/home proven knowledge. Appreciate your visit. Sandi

      Delete
    2. Sandi, I have an open niche Linkup, so feel free to participate weekly and share your links what you have and wish to get out there for more eyeballs to check out your blog.

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!