Sunday, August 12, 2018

Preparing Garden Tomatoes for Canning or Freezing.

Ad-Free Blog

If you have a bumper crop of Tomatoes and can't eat them fast enough, canning or freezing is a great way to use them later in your favorite recipes.


oldnewgreenredo

Here our Tomatoes are ripening in the windows. We had storms and many were falling off the vines.
So we ripen in the windows---still by the sun.

IF you dont' have time to do tomatoes or have enough for a canning session, I freeze them whole with the skins and stems still on them. When you need some for a project ---pop the whole frozen tomatoes into a sink of hot water. The skins slide right off. Core and use for cooking. They are just like fresh, though they break down faster in cooking. A great time saver. I've held tomatoes like this for over a year. We made Tomato Sauce in January---when we actually wanted the heat from cooking in the house, instead of now---when it is going to be 88 today.


oldnewgreenredo

What you want to do is skin your tomatoes for canning or cooking. Leave the stems on and pop them into boiling water until the skins start to split. Anywhere from 1-3 min. 

oldnewgreenredo

Here you can see the skins slipping off just from removing them from the pot with a tongs.

oldnewgreenredo

Toss them into a clean sink of very cold water. 

oldnewgreenredo

As soon as you can handle them, core the tomatoes and the skins should slide off. Drain.

oldnewgreenredo

I add all the skins/cores to the scrap bucket to return to the compost pile, a GREEN thing to do.

oldnewgreenredo

Our San Marzano only take a minute or so...and they just slip out of the skins and are so firm. I love to can these whole and fill jars with juiced tomatoes.

Skinned and cored Tomatoes are now ready for your favorite recipes. We can Tomatoes, make juice, and make Zuchinni in Stewed Tomatoes, make sauces for canning. Tomatoes are the most versatile of all the vegetables...and easy to can.


All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.
Thank you for your cooperation,
 Sandi Magle





9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words!!I have never tried canning tomatoes..... Maybe when I retire....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's worth it, now that they are fairly expensive in the stores. And, homemade is always best...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I'm saving this one. Not enough 'maters this year but hopefully next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been canning since the early 1960's. This is the easiest way to start. Thanks for stopping by. We made tomato sauce last January---just let it simmer all day---and put heat and moisture in the house.

      Delete
  3. This is exactly what I do Sandi. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back memories of when I used to can tons of tomatoes every season. I haven't canned in years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still do tomatoes, and I have to do pickle relish, or my family would disown me. But that will probably be it. Unless I find a bushel of pickles or Apples.

      Delete
    2. Do you have a pickle relish recipe?

      Delete
    3. YES I DO,I can’t copy and paste on this device. But if you search on the window toward the top right here on the blog “pickle relish” several posts will come up and look at the canning one. I hope that helps i..am on a road trip and no keyboard. Thanks for stopping by😁

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!