Sunday, October 7, 2018

Canning: Country Corn Relish

Ad-Free Blog

Hi, again. I said last week we garnered 3 huge bags of fresh corn FREE. Well, I had been waiting for our peppers to be ready to use---and this late, free corn meant I could make some 

Country Corn Relish.

Yay! 
This is a family favorite, and really quite easy and 
a must on our Thanksgiving Table.



oldnewgreenredo

You can use fresh frozen corn---or fresh. Really simple ingredients...Corn, onions, peppers, celery.

oldnewgreenredo

The corn was gorgeous--from northeast Wisconsin. Full kerneled, moist and sweet. I actually adjusted the sugar because of this. 

oldnewgreenredo

Celery is red and green peppers. I use red and yellow onions, again for color.
I cheat and use a chopper for the veggies.

oldnewgreenredo

Simple flavor palette: canning salt(do not use iron salt) celery seed, mustard seed, turmeric, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar.

oldnewgreenredo

You can blanch the corn for 5 minutes and then do this, I chose to blanch the kernels for a couple of minutes drain, then dump into my liquid solution.

oldnewgreenredo

Setting up a large bowl---with a smaller bowl inside (I put a damp piece of paper towel to keep it from slipping. I then began the water to blanch the corn.

oldnewgreenredo

In my kernel bowl I added all the chopped veggies and liquids, and spices.

oldnewgreenredo

Draining the corn, I then added all the veggies and liquids. 
Simmer for about 20 min. 

oldnewgreenredo

Fill your jars---these look really stubby because of the refraction from sitting in half boiling water.
Fill up your canner water covering lids...and boil for 15 min. Remove jars and cover
with a cloth so they cool slowly. 
All my lids popped down, but one---which is still good and will be the first we use.

oldnewgreenredo

Isn't the color just wonderful---not enhanced. 

Recipe tweaked and adapted from my food bible.
Freezing and Canning Cookbook, by the editors of Farm Journal, Double Day, 1963, 1964.

I'm on my second copy(using my mom's as I obliterated mine, it fell apart into so many pieces from using.) Like I said, it's my Food Bible.

Country Corn Relish (adapted from Iowa Corn Relish pg. 283) Yield: about 10 pts. 

21 ears of fresh corn-kerneled (this yielded 14 cups) Blanch before or after kernel removal.
(Frozen Corn--I would thaw and use as it is thawed, it has already been blanched)
1 1/2 cups of chopped green pepper
1 1/2 cups of chopped red pepper
2 cups of chopped onions
2 cups of chopped celery
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
2 Tbsp. of mustard seed
1 1/2 Tbsp of CANNING salt
1 1/2 tsp. of celery seed ( or more to your taste)
3 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cups of water

  • You can blanch corn cobs for 5 min.. put in cold water---to chill and cut the corn, OR you can cut the corn fresh, and blanch the kernels-2min. drain and then put back in the pot with boiling vegetables, liquids and seasonings (EASIER).
  • Combine all the ingredients, bring to a simmer for 20 min.
  • Pack into clean hot jars one inch from the top. Make sure your liquid covers your veggies. Usually I just press down with a spoon.
  • Wipe rims clean and put on clean boiled (NEW) rims and lids. Screw firm but not tightly-air needs to escape in processing.
  • Process covered in boiling water bath for 15 minutes, remove and cool covered. 
Refrigerate any jars that are not sealed---store the rest in a cool dark place.
Excellent with almost any barbecue, roasts, chicken, hot dogs, brats. ENJOY!



All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, unless otherwise designated. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.


Thanks ALWAYS for visiting!

I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.












4 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. I've never heard of this and now I want to try it. Do you eat it as a side dish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my mouth is watering! I love the system you have for getting the kernels off of the cob. Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes, it is pretty slick and makes quick work of the whole thing!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, yes, it is pretty slick...and makes quick work of the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!