Thursday, July 25, 2019

#WorldWatercolorMonth! Day 25 Shades of Pink

Ad-Free Blog

So, Today's theme is Shades of Pink, which of course made me drag out one of my dolls. Since I didn't have a computer---I thought painting from a doll was better than making it up...


I worked on sketchbook paper---because I haven't done any watercolor portraits, and I look at my watercolors as a 
LEARNING EXPERIENCE!


You can't grow, unless you give yourself permission to learn!

I hope you can see my faint sketch---I wanted the subject to look like a real person, 
so I thickened her arms and neck, Barbie tends to be 8 foot tall and skinny!


She is one of my vintage (OLD) favorites. 
Her gown is white, but I figured I could go pink without any big issues.

Palette: 
Thalo Purple
Prussian Blue
VanDyke Brown
Burnt Sienna
Lemon Yellow
Winsor Red
Alizarian Crimson

I worked mostly with synthetic 1/4", 5/8", 3/4" flats  and a very small round at the end for detail. Most of my brushes are so old, I can't see the brand names on them. Basically I use good quality synthetics originally designed for acrylics and craft painting. I like a brush that doesn't go limp, so the stiffer acrylic brushes are fine.



I did the background (Prussian Blue, VanDyke Brown and a touch of crimson) lightly first ---I tried to use Alizarian crimson in all my color mixtures---to go with the shades theme. At this point, I knew the white hair wasn't going to look real,
so I planned on blonde. 


This is basically after the first layers of color. And here is where my memories started to take over. 
I was 15 again, at my first formal---awkward, ( I was never a girly girl) so dressing up was a challenge.) I loved clothes, but more from a design point, rather than wearing them.



This dress is far more sumptuous than anything I ever had...I tried to do the lace on the bodice. Then, the face became an issue---she wasn't happy---probably because of feeling awkward. 
This photo was of wet paint.

I later added some yellow/pink in the dress to go with the hair. Thalo purple, VanDyke Brown, and the Alizarion Crimson were mixed for the darker shadows. 



I finally had to walk away---wait until the saturated and muddy paper dried. Sketchbook paper does have an end point!  I eventually dry-brushed in some of the details
 and then walked away.

IF I do a portrait again---I will use some fabulous paper---that I can rework, when I get into trouble. 
I did manage to rework her mouth. 
I still love the memories represented here: the rustle of the fabrics, the heavy colognes everyone wore, the sticky hair, the heat of the room mixed with teen angst---all rolled up into one portrait. 

Do you remember your first formal event? 

Disclaimer: Any products I am using are not a recommendation, but only for reference for the reader's use. I am in no way affiliated with any of the companies or products, or have I received compensation or products. 

My painting projects will be posted on Pinterest, Flickr and Facebook with the hashtag 


Don't forget the above supports art materials for children...
take a peek.











10 comments:

  1. Love your romantic painting in pink...I also love your cute doll,so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maristella. Yes, she is a very pretty doll, an early 1990's doll.

      Delete
  2. You are really good at this Sandi, you should invest in the best quality paper you can afford because your outcome is so impressive and should be preserved on the best canvases for posterity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn---I did get some good paper.---I've only done the last one with the big paper---concentrating on some canning, gardening, and cleaning the doll room. But, I will get back to it, soon. Picking up a tripod easel for outside...which will be fun.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!