Tuesday, October 18, 2022

I Said I was Going to Make Pesto!---Great storage tip, too!

Ad-Free Post

Quicky garden food post for a fun and quick Basil save. Our Basil plants were insisting on flowering and with frost looming every other night, I cut it all and decided to make pesto. So here is where this started.

oldnewgreenredo

I had washed and trimmed the basil and set it all cut stems down in water in my kettle until I could get to it.

There are a million versions of this PESTO recipe floating around. I tweaked mine to favor our tastes.

EASY PEASY Basil PESTO

4 cups of packed Basil leaves (no stiff stems)
sometimes I add a cup or two of Parsley heads 
8 cloves of garlic (fresh or roasted)
1 cup of shredded Parmesan Cheese
2/3 cup of Olive Oil (I use first-cold press) 
1 cup of Walnuts instead of Pineolas or
 Pine Nuts which are $$$ astronomical now
1/2 tsp of Salt
2 TBSP of Lemon Juice 
which helps the Pesto keep its color
Pepper as desired-- I gave it 20 grinds on our pepper grinder.
(sometimes I add a cup or two of 
chopped Parsley heads if I have it)

Basically use a chopper---add garlic and Basil (parsley)- pulse until loosely chopped
Add cheese oil and nuts....
pulse until mixed -stirring if necessary
Then add Lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Pulse until well mixed.

Now all this green gooey-ness is ready to pack up. I used to use ice cube trays, but with all the ice makers now---who has trays anymore? 
Today was garbage day and sitting on top of the recyclables was this clear plastic egg carton. I washed it with soap and hot water...and set it on the counter. Each half of the egg tray is two healthy tablespoons ...perfect for a serving of Pesto for 4.


oldnewgreenredo

I filled them all with two heaping small spoons of goodness and packed it down. By now I was feeling a bit smug about this brilliant idea. 

oldnewgreenredo

I had made 1 1/2 recipes or 6 cups of basil---and that filled the trays and the small container and enough for a hearty pot of spaghetti for supper.

How do I fold it up? I was not willing to have it open (too strong of scents) in the freezer. I folded a piece of wax paper in thirds and it was the perfect size to lay between the 'cups'. 

oldnewgreenredo

I flipped it closed holding the wax paper with my thumbs, and then I closed it best I could and added the rubber bands. Once they are frozen, I may put the Pesto Pods in a bag for space...but for now it's perfect! And a REUSE REDO!

"GARDEN TO TABLE" and to the cooking pot!

oldnewgreenredo

Already on the stove was a container of tomato sauce, sausage, onions and I added the last bit in the pot of the pesto...oh num! The smell was divine! 

oldnewgreenredo

And the rest went in the freezer for storage of up to 6 months!

 IF IT LASTS THAT LONG!

IYou enjoyed this post please FOLLOW IT in the upper right hand corner, to get just one email of each AD-Free post.


All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, unless otherwise designated. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.


Thanks ALWAYS for visiting!

I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.
Thank you for your cooperation,
 Sandi Magle


OldNewGreenRedo




10 comments:

  1. I love pesto! Sandi, your recipe is quite similar to mine -- a little different quantities but close. I use walnuts too. Pine nuts are too pricey. And I do the oil and garlic first, then the basil and my blender doesn't clog. I LOVE your storage idea -- that's really brilliant and I'll remember it for next year. I use snack-sized sandwich zip bags but the egg cups are sort of perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went yikes at Pine nuts Jeanie. I remembered they were high, but not the astronomical they are now. Yep, there are lots of recipe's out there. Sometimes I add oregano/and even fennel if I have it fresh. I used paper cups one year, and found it not great as so much stuck to them. This was a total brain fart as the egg carton was sitting on top of the recycle bin...LOL. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  2. Tony and I absolutely love basil and I can almost smell that pesto. My basil didn't do too well this year or I would have a go at making it.. It's surprisingly warm still here but I'm sure that will change very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all you grow, Cheri, I'm surprised Basil wouldn't do well by you. I do know I have better luck in pots than in the ground. My dad use to grow a huge bush of it in the ground, but it was East exposure and protected on two sides---and he put coffee grounds and fish cleanings into the ground there...that was in Wisconsin where temps were a bit more stable than we have been experiencing this year. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  3. Hi, Judy---yes the comments thing has been batchit goofy---I have it up right now...and I'm going to copy my comment before it looses it, LOL. Hugs, and hang in there---and a wall isn't that bad...lol. It's the dominos of, that looks great, but that area next to it doesn't...lol. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to make and freeze pesto too but wow! what a batch of basil you managed to harvest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joanne. I had two potted plants, and they were stunted during the heat and then took off when the temps moderated to the 80's. Yes, it was a great harvest and so handy, thanks for stopping by! Sandi

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great recipe. I love pesto so much. This is wonderful, and I like how you used the egg carton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam. We try and buy cage free/organic eggs except for big baking projects, and I'm always hesitant to just throw those superb containers away! Works like a charm! Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  6. That is a clever storage idea, and the pesto looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!