Thursday, December 16, 2021

Finally posting some Christmas 2021: Part 1 Christmas Kitchen

Ad-Free Blog

Hi, sweet Readers!  Is it just me or is this Christmas bubbling over with nostalgia, wanting to get together, silly music, and wanting to get together.... 

oldnewgreenredo

Honestly the day after Thanksgiving about 60% of our boxes of Christmas stuff came out---with the goal of organizing, decorating, sorting, and ultimately culling. 

oldnewgreenredo

Golly---culling has been really hard. To begin with I always try and use different things in different places each year---not like my mother, whose home looked exactly the same in 1958 and in 2005...everything exactly in the same place. It was her last Christmas, and after I had literally just put up all the decorations out in their correct spot, she hobbled around gently adjusting this an inch that way, a leaf turned up, a string hidden, a wrinkle smoothed.  I'm pretty sure she knew, it would be her last Christmas. So, this my nostalgia is attached to all her items. I try to use them here and there throughout our home.

Decorating seemed much harder this year...and I didn't have set ideas of where I was going to put anything. I had a knee replacement in 2019...so Christmas was limited that year,

oldnewgreenredo

 2020 was non-existent because of Covid, it was just Hubby and I, here at all. 

Cookies were delivered, along with Christmas presents. Basically thrown out on the curb...sigh! But we did FaceTime as family for opening and it was fun. And, definitely helped.

oldnewgreenredo

So opening totes after at least 3 years (some for much longer) was a surprise for sure, and a tug at the heart here and there. I use Danish ornaments, a kitchen baking theme and this year added all the gnomes/Nisseman to the kitchen/dining room, too.

oldnewgreenredo

I totally loved this towel as it summed up Christmas here. I usually include some vintage baking tins and forms for decorations in the kitchen. The cookie jar sported a peppermint bow. And I added lots of red and white to my usually blue and white kitchen.

oldnewgreenredo

I made lots of ornaments from Jello molds this year(another post), but I have plenty to splatter around the kitchen. The fish poacher is antique enamel and so much fun to fill with stuff!

oldnewgreenredo

My great grandmother's cookie former...it has several dies for spritzing out different types of dough or icings. I don't use it, because it is lead/tin and really not that safe. 

oldnewgreenredo

I found this music box grandma that moves and makes music at a thrift store years ago...she is so cute! 

oldnewgreenredo

On the left is our giant hibiscus I cut back and is getting lots of new growth.

oldnewgreenredo

I swear the coffee station is the busiest corner of the kitchen. We have coffee and hot water going almost all day. It's great for company as everyone can mix cocoa, tea or coffee to their liking.

oldnewgreenredo

I use this little tub for catching all that stuff at the sink. I made it pretty with some red/white dish cloths.

Of course there is hand sanitizer everywhere!


oldnewgreenredo

My decor over the sink is simple a special snowflake cookie cutter and two of my grandmother's strung together.


oldnewgreenredo

In this corner, the toaster gets a cover-up...every cabinet handle has a JuleHaerten, a Christmas Heart pouch, all made by my great-aunt Gudren. She was practically blind, but cross-stitched many little red/white ornaments for us all, often filled with Hershey kisses. 


oldnewgreenredo

Since our grand girl is a very grown up nine now, ie.- "No more sequins, unicorns, or dolls, anymore, Grandma. I'm a glam girl now." Suddenly, we have to readjust a bit.

oldnewgreenredo

My sons' prints and our grand girl at the same age 3.

Where does the time go?---flying by, skittering into the sunset whether we wish to tag along or not. Much of our decor the past nine years has been themed with toys and childhood, both my sons' and our Grand. 

oldnewgreenredo

In the dining side of our farm kitchen there are fun gnomes and peppermint candy trees planted in some of my plant pots. The middle greens planter is very happy inside and a base for the gnomes to have a winter home.



oldnewgreenredo

I've added pinecones, snow and some ornaments for color and of course you have to have lights.

oldnewgreenredo

The corner cabinet is a hodge lodge of Danish items, gnomes, vintage tins, cookware, baking items and and just lots of fun things.

oldnewgreenredo

Everything on this shelf is antique or Vintage, except the baking nutcracker , even the copper molds are over 50 years old now.

oldnewgreenredo

I found these Mr.Mrs Santa 50's dime store lollipop holders a few years ago. They look great with a vintage cocoa box and some enamel ware! 

oldnewgreenredo

I did pick up the sign at a craft show---pretty much our family. The stork nest Bing/Grondahl Mother's Day plate was a thrift store find. I have many of the Mother's Day plates-gifts from my mom and grandmother, but I never had this one. It is considered good luck for a stork to nest on your chimney in Denmark in the summer time. I remember seeing many nests while traveling through N. Jutland, Denmark as a girl.

oldnewgreenredo

Another major interruption this month was a new furnace and air conditioner. When having our winter checkup---the furnace guy pronounced it on it's last legs. 

oldnewgreenredo

We have been over 7 days without power in the winter--and know what it's like to fight very cold temps--so we opted for a new furnace, rather than a $600 band-aid repair to a twenty-year-old furnace. The temp/humidity gauge is there to read the current temp and how the humidifier is working---(PERFECTLY)! 


oldnewgreenredo

Sweet Danish stitchery with little children in tassel hats. A Christmas pig painted by an artist over forty years ago.

oldnewgreenredo

On the other side are Jul Hearts...a Danish traditions often filled with candies and fruit as gifts.



oldnewgreenredo

I still have left touches here and there...and now I have revisited the Nisse-Tomte (Gnomes of my childhood). In fact the only things I really purchased year were two stuffed gnomes, and a gingerbread spoon at a craft fair and items to make my own ornaments.


oldnewgreenredo

Red and white mushrooms, hearts, cookies, flags(Danish) and American, little children ornaments from Sweden and Denmark, pinecone gnomes(vintage repros), and cookies fill this little tree. 



oldnewgreenredo

The tree is very full of ornaments, and there are lots more in the totes...sigh.

oldnewgreenredo

Christmas Pig is fattening up on acorns under the tree. He got a bath this year and a touch up here and there.

oldnewgreenredo

Gnomes have taken up residence in the the Thyme plant.

oldnewgreenredo

I'm surprised they don't charge us rent??

oldnewgreenredo

We have rice pudding on Christmas Eve. Why? because we do...as my mom would say.

oldnewgreenredo

I made this little pictorial fold-out for a 'prize' for Christmas Eve. The images are from vintage Danish or Swedish post cards, some over 100 years old.

oldnewgreenredo

Nisse/Tomte/Gnomes are fairy folk that live in the barn. Rice Pudding on Christmas Eve is payment or a bribe for them to not do harm, but protect the home, barn, and livestock for the coming year. You never want to cross a fairy folk. (WE know this from all the fairytales.)

oldnewgreenredo

My one-year old Christmas cactus should be in full bloom next week and it has 8 buds! 

oldnewgreenredo

So from our warm kitchen to yours, 

have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays All!

coming soon

Part 2: Tree and Buffet

Part 3: Bedroom and Hall

Part 4: Rest of the Living Room

If You enjoyed this post please FOLLOW IT in the upper right hand corner, to get just one email of each new post.

Thanks  ALWAYS  for visiting,
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, unless otherwise designated. Please do not use my photos without permission. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts, or any products shown or anywhere I shop.

Thank you for your cooperation,


Sandi 




















11 comments:

  1. Oh, Sandi, it looks like a wonderful WonderLand. I bet your grandgirl loves it no matter how old she is! I love the tale of the rice pudding and the fairy folks. Your Danish decorations are perfect and beautiful. What a charming Christmas in your kitchen..Merry Christmas, my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judy. I think I was channeling my childhood this year...but, that isn't a bad thing. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  2. Your home is very festive everywhere Sandi, it looks like you have really been having decorating fun! I wish you the merriest of Christmases!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hi, Jenna. I think I'm not getting notifications for your blog anymore...honestly what else can booger screw up? Hugs and Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  3. Your kitchen is so charming and cheerful. I love the mix of blue and white. I really should get my Christmas plates off the plate rail and use them -- the blues are so pretty. And the music box grandma is darling. Oh, it's all wonderful. Yes, I can see why not so much came out in 2020 but here it is -- and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used them for food...but you certainly could. They are quite thick and the rolled edge keeps them from chipping. Thanks for visiting...and have a Merry Christmas, Jeanie.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, so much to look at! It must bring you such joy to be surrounding by so many things that have special meaning to you. And why not rice pudding!?! Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Amy. I shall think of you, every time I peruse my Settlement Cookbook. I had never known the whole story behind it. But, we had always used it. My great-grandmother must have received it, thereabouts in 1906 or a bit later after they arrived from Denmark. And of course Rice pudding...cooked all day with whole milk and a little butter, served with cinnamon and sugar and a Raspberry Juice. Hugs, and HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON to you and yours. Sandi

      Delete
  5. Lots of things to see in your kitchen!! Love the hibiscus, cactus, grandparents sign, and all the gnomes! Thanks so much for linking up at A Themed Linkup 87 for All Things Christmas. Pinned and/or shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the gnomes invaded us this year. I have to take the gnome table down to have dinner we will be nine...sigh. Hugs, and thanks for the support, Sandi

      Delete
  6. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at #AThemedLinkup 174 for All Things Christmas. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!