Thursday, March 26, 2020

Midwest Gardening: Late March 2020


Ad-free Blog
Here in Chicagoland, inside it looks like a greenhouse, 
most noticeable in my living room. YES, two-feet from my front door. The black boxes are an air purifier and a humidifier. 
The large pots are all holding my hubby's enthusiastic
Caladium purchases!


oldnewgreenredo

So much for a pretty Spring housewalk.

Our well water ruined two furnace humidifiers, the portables are far cheaper, and can easily be maintained.

oldnewgreenredo

In the kitchen, both windows are full of transplanted starts. 

oldnewgreenredo

They are a bit droopy after transplanting, but Tomatoes  look better today.



We had to go up with portable shelving. I will be transplanting more if we get more dirt. ONLY if something important HAS to be purchased. 

oldnewgreenredo

I label every HOT PEPPER pot...so these are planted far away and don't cross pollinate with our other other peppers. They will probably be in pots near the garage---quarantined if you will.


 Not colorful yet these are the colorful Coleus from my last garden post. $8.00 worth of seed, will give us MORE than enough coleus for our shady yard. 


oldnewgreenredo

We had snow on Tuesday, so the greenhouse is still not viable, even though yesterday it reached 85 degrees in there. Nights need to temper just a bit more, before we move in plants. 

oldnewgreenredo

A few hours straightening in here, and we will be ready to go!
I'm hoping to do the next round of transplanting out here!




All day Wednesday we got outside...the garden was almost taken care of in fall...and is now draining. We will have 4 days of rain, starting today. So tilling will be awhile. 
oldnewgreenredo

Most of yesterday was cleanup!


Stacking wood from our spruce tree!

oldnewgreenredo

Bundling branches for pickup, we are opting for less burning, and these will be mulched at a recycling center.

oldnewgreenredo

Our neighbor is home from work and really tackled their yard.

It will be fun to see what revitalizes when the plants rise up!
oldnewgreenredo

We only have tiny bits of green coming, mostly Iris, and some Daffodils. I leave ALL the leaves and healthy stems for bird nesting materials, and to protect our bees, which burrow underneath, praying mantis and other helpful bugs. 



 With my knee replacement last Fall, you didn't get to see that our project was well underway, to clear up our problem area.

Hubby spread we aren't sure how many bags of paver base across the yard where we have drainage issues and couldn't grow grass.


Paver base was spread over leveled ground, a layer of weed blocker, sand and then paver base. It really firmed up over the winter, and the leaves were easy to rake off.
oldnewgreenredo

We didn't get to do any decorative additions, but now I have a blank slate and can begin a plan. (The Caladiums and Coleus should be very happy here in pots. 

oldnewgreenredo

Hubby finished the fence in November. I can't wait to put some trailing vines and impatiens on those small shelves. 

Hubby planted Hosta I grew from starts, below and all around here, I hope they made it through the freeze/thaw winter we had.

oldnewgreenredo

We never had deep snow cover for a long period of time, much of the yard was bare in between. I think we are 3" below average snowfall, for Chicagoland.
On the other side of the house my fisher pair, lost their poles again. I'm beginning to wonder if an animal carries them off to chew on.

oldnewgreenredo


Around the pond, are Mini Iris, ground covers, Iris, 

and Daffy's coming up.


The pond is disgusting and just thawed out. I'll throw a cup of bleach in it, and scoop all the leaves out,
and then run clear water through it, when it warms up.

The frogs like some leaves in there to hide in. Our water plants, weren't brought into the house, because of the early frost, so I will have to purchase some new ones---Papyrus, for sure! 

I may just use some Philodendrom and a Spath also...I have none at the moment.
We usually have frogs within a week of cleaning the pond out.I do use mosquito floats in both of the ponds, and nothing seems to mind them except the mosquitos.

oldnewgreenredo

Around the corner is the Sweet Pea trellis, I didn't get cleaned up because of my surgery. That will come down when I clear the flower beds. Our Sweet Peas are from a 59cent package in 1985!

oldnewgreenredo

This area faces East. And, the Daffodils bloom here first. I thinned them two years ago---and it looks like they need it again. I need a new focal plant here, our 20-year old rose, finally croaked.

\

oldnewgreenredo

Along the fence, I started multiple perennials last year, mostly Holly Hocks, and transplanted some Echinacea, and Phlox. We will see what comes up.

I had some going-south citrus fruit languishing in the fridge drawer, and I sliced them in half. I put them outside, just to see who might want them.
oldnewgreenredo

We have lots of critters in our yard, so many birds, squirrels, chippies, moles (not good), possums, raccoons, woodchucks, frogs, toads, really a happy bunch of critters.

oldnewgreenredo

We had hung some oranges up on a stick earlier, and they were ripped down and emptied underneath. 

oldnewgreenredo

Sure enough you can see a trail along the beam of orange halves...I dont' know who took the limes...LOL. But, they are gone!

PS This happened during the day, Wednesday...so that eliminates the night stalkers!

HOW ARE YOUR GARDEN PLANS and Critters COMING?

Thank you for any and all comments.
Finally I am able to reply to comments by using Chrome. So all you Mac users who have upgraded to Catalina---this might help the glitches on Safari  and Blogger!



22 comments:

  1. I am sure your garden will be colorful soon! I can't tired of seeing your adorable garden statues...I also love caladium and coleus,my Mom has lots of them in her garden.I am waiting for your daffodils!Big "virtual" hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dear. Someday i hope we can share a cup of tea, or coffee over someone's lovely dishes. HUGS BACK!

      Delete
  2. I can really see spring coming to your area, Sandi! I see daylilies coming up here, and it is warming up a little...looking forward to spending more time outdoors! Hoping you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LInda. We can hope so---the grass is greening a bit with the rain. I just hope we have sun next week. I miss my porch, if it warms up, I'll at least get it clean out there!

      Delete
  3. I love caladiums too! Just going on your house walk of pots is such an encouraging sign of real spring arriving, sooner here where we are at an unbelievable 80 degrees today. And only gardeners might understand what an exciting tour your yard is because we see so much promise there, so many things that in a month and then more will explode with beauty. I go out daily and poke around during a grand tour and love every little sign of things about to happen. Maybe this year it is especially wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my Dewena, 80 degrees, goodness. I was housebound last Fall, and didn't really get to appreciate our Project area, We will try sod again on the bare spot, and pots around the posts with Caladiums, impatiens and some spikey thing, and see what happens. I originally wanted all flower beds, but I think this may be more practical. A circle of carpet will go under the tire swing with some padding! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I love to see all your hopeful seedlings growing and soon will be transported into the garden areas. Oh we all cannot wait for the weather to finally get warm and stay warm. This quarantine time would be so much better if it were summer here to be outside and doing things in the garden. Timing on this virus sucks. Let's hope as the weather gets better the virus scare will continue to get better too. Stay safe and well.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Kris, I know it's hard to be hopeful inside, when it is gloom and doom--and dreary and wet outside of our cocoons. You stay safe, also!!! Virtual hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  5. Looks like you're going to have a fabulous garden this summer. You're being so productive during this terrible time. I'm looking forward to your summer garden photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carol. It feels good to get out of the house and putter. I was in the greenhouse half of today, we have a new little heater, and are hoping to maintain 50 degrees in there at night.
      Sure felt good to be out of the house!

      Delete
  6. Hi there! I'm new to your blog, but I sure would like to visit when your coleus are colorful! I love them, and miss my shady garden nest in MD with the dancing ferns. We moved to dried out brown colorado where we have a fresh coat of icy snow at the moment, not crocus. But the sun is trying to come out again, that will help.
    SO nice to meet you, LeeAnna at Not Afraid Of Color
    ps if you ever want to do a Thurs post of things you like at the moment, let me know to include your link. We're trying to keep spirits high!LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, LeeAnna ...thanks for stopping by. It must be hard to totally change to a dry climate, and a mile high also! MD, is so lush, but you will find out what works for your area. Thanks for stopping by and stay safe.

      Delete
  7. WOW!! You have quite a bits of plants there!! It is still in the 30's here in the mornings and we can get snow in April so I am not doing any yard work yet...I may have to plant flower seeds if I can not buy flowers for all my post but I do not usually buy them until mid May when we are safe from frost...Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Debbie. I was out in the greenhouse for 4 hours today. We did get a heater, and are testing to see if we can maintain 50 degrees at night. If you even start some seeds. I know with your east facing brick?, you might be able to. start in planters right up next to the house. We used to start plants on the front porch and tent them, or put old windows over them. Surprising how warm it would be under plastic/glass!

      Delete
  8. Oh, you'll love getting outside with all those little seedlings! It's hard not to do things early but when there's still a chance of low temps at night, it's best to wait. At least you can do a lot now and be ready! Take care and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by. We picked up a heater, and I'm watching the temps right now. We are hoping to keep it to 50 degrees. And, same to you...stay safe and healthy, Sandi

      Delete
  9. I think we are starting plants in pots in our homes. several of my friends are. I did put my geraniums outside today, that was in basement for the winter.
    I sure wish I had a nice greenhouse similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to help the plant budget. I used to winter geraniums over, but the ones I've had the last few years, had such a hard time with the HOT temps we were having, I didn't even buy any last year. Years ago---I went years on the same geranium plants...perhaps they have hybridized them so much they aren't hearty anymore? ...I was out in the greenhouse for 4 hours today---can't wait to make it pretty, LOL.

      Delete
  10. I'm working on spring gardening chores too. You've been busy! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a burst of good weather, so hurried up and got it done. Thanks for stopping by, Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  11. Girrrrl, I always Imagine I'm going to do Plant Starts and Force Bulbs before Spring... and it almost never happens now. When we owned the Historic Homestead I was really into it, can't get motivated now and this would be the idyllic time, during Lock Down to get around to it! So... I Admire your Seedlings... mine are still on the Canvas of my Imagination as they languish in their Seed Packets and never did get planted! *Le Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Dawn you would have crispy plants in a greenhouse. Maybe next year, I think life will change so much as a result of this, you will find we will be doing many things differently in the future! Hugs and thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!