Tuesday, October 1, 2019

MidWest Gardening September 2019

Ad-Free Blog

It's the end of September and while some things are just DONE...
others are not. As of 9/27 today, our GREEN vegetable garden is pretty much done, except for peppers and butternut squash. I picked the last of the tomatoes and got a huge bag in the freezer. 


oldnewgreenredo

This picking was early September---we had two more pickings and we still have a bunch of peppers on our 12 or so plants. They have been big and thick. 

oldnewgreenredo

Today, the Basil has had too much water, I dump the excess after every rain, but we have been soaked every third day or so.The Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme are very happy in the pot on the right. My Cilantro has revived and is growing thick. My Parsley not in the picture is almost as big and also has lettuce starting. If it gets cold, these long planters will go into the new greenhouse.

oldnewgreenredo

This Rosemary Pot is very sweet and quite crazy. I will bring this into the house when/if it gets cold.


oldnewgreenredo

My crazy late sunflower has branched out at the top and I had 12 blooms on it this week. They change colors and vary, day to day.

oldnewgreenredo

You can see the trees aren't turning at all, yet!

oldnewgreenredo

My big pot at the base of the stairs is very happy. Now in shade most of the day, everything has doubled in size. The 'sunflower' turned out to be a mulberry tree. and was promptly cut out this week. I will have to dig out the root after frost.

oldnewgreenredo

This, Unexpected gift, which is quite happy by the pond. A Baby Tears I had in a few planters last year. I dumped dirt from pots around the pond last Fall, and it must have taken root. I will mulch and see if it makes it. I have had multiple ground covers here with not much luck. Too hot in the sun for most of the Spring and Summer, I guess the secret is more water, since we had tons of rain, records in fact.


oldnewgreenredo

While the Sweet Peas are dead, this Monster Morning Glory has started in. 


oldnewgreenredo

Huge mutant rubbery leaves and gorgeous 3" blooms. The color is amazing. I assume they will go until frost!

oldnewgreenredo

These were not planted, but the birds help with that---after eating the seeds, from the neighbors plants.

oldnewgreenredo

These are the grown-from-seed Marigolds after I trimmed them for the third time. We roll carts down this concrete. 8-10" marigolds are 18-20". The 12-16" ones are about 30" inches high. Amazing what hot weather and tons of water will do.

oldnewgreenredo

I keep nipping flowerings on the Coleus, but they are just huge this year! We gave up on bug/critter spraying with rain falling constantly.

oldnewgreenredo

This one gets more sun and is just as big. I do use a mix of composted dirt and 1/2 potting soil. They were fertilized, once????

oldnewgreenredo

My Giant Sedum plants are full of pinkish blooms---the bees are thick and loving it, so I have to stay away from these areas. Some have fallen over because of the weight of the heads. Next year I will wire ring them early. 

As soon as they begin to turn burgundy, I will use some for cut arrangements. Such a wonderful plant for NO CARE--drought resistance and great foliage.

Well, it is Chicagoland...and 
SPEAKING OF RAIN, we are now in our 5th day since I started this post-----so....

(to be Continued)
Later when I can get some photos!


Thanks for visiting, I love all your comments, 
and I will be happy to try and answer questions!







6 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures!Your garden is adorable...The Morning Glory caught my eye! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, they were crazy huge this year!

      Delete
  2. Sandi, your garden is still looking beautiful! I have been cutting back like crazy in mine. Tomorrow I will pull out the Zinnias. We got a little nip the other night and now they are not pretty. Hubby picked all of our tomatoes yesterday because they said it was going to freeze. I think they would have been fine. Happy fall dear friend!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Ah, yes, our garden is done---we cut all the squash and peppers off the plants yesterday. I'm going to try and do 2 peppers in the greenhouse and move the herbs and a few plants there, just to see how well they do. Fall is always so busy, hugs to you and thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your lovely garden at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!