Wednesday, July 10, 2019

#WorldWatercolorMonth Day 8 Flying High Theme

Ad-Free Blog
Well, is it hot by YOU? 
After three gorgeous days in Chicagoland (we almost got caught up on the yard work), today was beastly. So, inside my intention was to paint three pictures today and get caught up for the watercolor challenge. One painting for each day, following a prompt.

"Flying High" Day 8's prompt brought to mind all the kites, balloons, airplanes, birds, and then my husband said "drones", and I had to laugh. 

oldnewgreenredo

I started to think of photos I had taken over the years, I did lots of nature photography I used for poems. And, one came to mind, 2007 from the Chicago Botanic Gardens. Waterlilies in all their glory.

When I originally blew up the photo to use as my screen saver, I noticed the feather.

oldnewgreenredo
Here's the original photo---


Here's the photo cropped and blown up. I wrote a poem about a lover leaving....the last evidence the feather or evidence of a flight. A bit far from the prompt...but this is what my mind came up with.

oldnewgreenredo
I treated myself and used a cut down piece of 
Strathmore Aquarius II 80lb cold press 132. 

Size about 10 x 12". Here is the first washes after I did a rough sketch and applied masking to the white(showing as light yellow) areas(the flowers, feather and a few places where light bounced off the leaves). For the washes, I tried to use brighter hues, knowing there would be a more layers of color.

oldnewgreenredo
I let this dry, and later did another wash with some outlines and deepening colors. I used colors over water spritz, working on one area at a time. Our air was very dry, so I had to keep spraying on water.

oldnewgreenredo

I let that dry and then peeled away the masking(this was really hard to get off this paper) and began working on all colors, deepening, and outlining. After adding some details, and taking away others, by over painting, I stopped. In college my painting (acrylics/oils) professor set me up with three easels, to keep me from working so fast and muddling up the colors. I did learn to walk away from works in progress.

oldnewgreenredo

Here's a closeup...I have distorted the proportions to the original photo, but I was trying to stay true to my thoughts on the meaning behind the composition, or should I say nature's composition.
Don't forget to look at some of the other paintings at #WorldWaterColorMonth on facebook or DoodleWash.
I'm learning so much by seeing all the great paintings.
Palette:
Cadmium Yellow Deep
Lemon Yellow
Yellow Green 
Viridian Green
Cobalt Blue
Cerulean Blue
Thalo Purple
VanDyke Brown
Burnt Sienna
Lamp Black
and I added Hooker Green


Disclaimer: Any products I am using are not a recommendation, but only for reference for the reader's use. I am in no way affiliated with any of the companies or products, or have I received compensation or products. 


My painting projects will be posted on Pinterest, Flickr and Facebook with the hashtag












5 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting!Congrats!I tried to see the Facebook but I couldn't because I don't have Face...Hugs,dear Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hahaha....cute Maristella, I bet you have a smiling 'Face'. I found my high school friend who was an exchange student from PORTUGAl on facebook, even after 52 years...grins.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured it all so beautifully Sandi. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Jeanie. One never sees ---all of what you are viewing, especially in a big pond, like at the Botanic Gardens. I honestly didn't see the feather until I blew the photo up...!

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!