Tuesday, July 23, 2019

#WorldWatercolorMonth Day 21 Pattern

AD-Free Blog

Hello, My computer was down, so I had to paint from memory or from something around the house. It's working now, but we are still going to back it up and run a 'fix it' on it, and probably take it to Apple, anyway. Back to painting...

Day 21, Pattern is the theme, and my house is full of patterns everywhere you look. In the kitchen on the Grand's chair, I hastily had applied a piece of (kid's) orange stickyfoam to the seat, so our 3 year old wouldn't slip off at Thanksgiving a few years back. Who knew I wouldn't be able to get it off, so I use this sweet handwoven Danish apron circa 1955 or so...as a chair cover! 
(PS the foam is a great non-slip surface..it just won't come off!)




The apron handwoven cottons and is very colorful and full of texture. I used my unknown sketchbook paper for the painting, taped down.


I had purchased a new plastic palette and took the time to fill the holes with some different colors, as I still have the old one mostly full.

Palette:

Top Row:WN Prussian Blue,WN Cobalt blue,Grumbacher(GB) Magnesium Green, (GB)Thalo Yellow Green,WN Alizarian Crimson,WN Winsor Red,WN Lemon Yellow,GB Cadmium Yellow Pale
Bottom Row:WN Lamp Black,WN Burnt Sienna, GB VanDyke Brown,GB Thalo Purple,GB Hooker Green

New colors are Cadmium Yellow Pale-they are getting away from the Cadmiums(harmful), this is softer than the Cad/Yellow/Deep, but these are 25 year old paints or so--and I'm going to use them up. The WN Alizarian is nice and strong, and the Winsor Red has a tomato red cast---which is also stronger than the Carmine I was using or the Thalo Red.




The weave of the apron is really complex, I can't see that small, let alone paint that small. That much detail I really wouldn't want to paint in one session...so my intention was to get the 'spirit' of the material and the pattern/color placements.




This is after the initial washes! Trying to show the thickness was a challenge.



Here I worked over a few more layers and tried to get more detail! I think it catches the exuberance of the patterns!
I wore this apron to many Kringleville Festivals in my hometown.
Danish Kringle---is a horseshoe shaped pastry, and worthy of it's own festival!

Do you have an item from childhood, you use as decor in your home, because it makes you smile? Please Share!


Disclaimer: Any products I am using are not a recommendation, but only for reference for the reader's use. I am in no way affiliated with any of the companies or products, or have I received compensation or products. 

My painting projects will be posted on Pinterest, Flickr and Facebook with the hashtag 


Don't forget the above supports art materials for children...
take a peek.








5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, I think that's why I use it...it's a smile!

      Delete
  2. Great job! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you-I was really happy I could duplicate the real colors! One of my favorite heirlooms.

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!