Thursday, November 29, 2018

Royal Copenhagen Table Setting for Thanksgiving

AD-Free Blog

Royal Copenhagen Porcelain from Denmark celebrated their 240 year Anniversary in 2018. 
We inherited Grandmother's Dinner service and tons of odds and ends and Mom's coffee service in this lovely pattern originally designed in 1779. 

oldnewgreenredo


The pattern is the second pattern of RC, simply called Bleu Fleur meaning Blue Flower began production in 1779.  Every pristine porcelain piece was unique and hand-painted with cobalt under the clear glaze. Each item of dinnerware was marked with a unique dating system and signed by the artist who painted it. While no longer in production there are oodles of pieces out there if you want to pick up a 'Blue Flower' item.

oldnewgreenredo


Gathered and collected from various family members from Denmark and America---we are blessed to be able to host more people than our small house can hold.


oldnewgreenredo

The centerpiece was very low and designed for conversation I added a few leaves all set in my antique enameled fish poacher with dried gourds, garden pumpkin and super market squash. This arrangement left lots of room for serving pieces on the wide table.

I'm not a professional blogger, by all means I'm not a professional anything anymore. Retired and aging---I get a bit 'fermisht'--at times, not sure on that spelling. But, it means getting scrambled in the head, a perfect Yiddish expression that sounds exactly like what it means. 

Anyway---Thanksgiving came and went with much preparation and enjoyment----AND, I never got proper photos of my formally set Thanksgiving Table. 

oldnewgreenredo

Except after the fact. 
Well, everyone imagine adding a bit of green and some red candles--- and you could do Christmas with my Thanksgiving Table Setting!

The tablecloth is April Cornell...vibrant and forgiving cotton. 
Our Sterling is Danish (Princessin) and a I added a few pieces of American. Denmark doesn't believe in salad forks, so my mom's salad forks were added.

oldnewgreenredo

Our fabric creamy yellow napkins were still not washed from TD, and we had a few fleeting moments of sun. I substituted these cute paper ones for this photo session. 
The silver pattern has a very George Jensen-look. The pattern is discontinued, but was a perfect choice for my style, way back in 1963 when I picked it out at age 15, long before I even met my husband.

oldnewgreenredo

The tall goblets were my grandparents'. The smaller goblets are Orefors (1968)---we chose for our wedding.

oldnewgreenredo

I have many unusual silver serving pieces passed down from family to augment our own pattern.  Some have hallmarks of the late 1700's. The meat fork was part of a set I purchased in an antique store for a song. The carving knife and fork are sterling---it's heavy, and Danish, and very unique. The silver gravy server I purchased for my parent's 25th wedding anniversary. You can never have too much gravy at a meal.

oldnewgreenredo

I love this detailed flowered spoon, a sand rose grown on the shore dunes of the North Sea, from the 60's.


oldnewgreenredo

The large potato spoon (or berry spoon) was a gift from my maiden aunts in Denmark for our wedding in the Princessin pattern.

oldnewgreenredo

We had a lovely Thanksgiving...a mere memory now---and dishes washed and silver freshly polished it is time to think of Christmas...I'm 'fermisht' all over again!

All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, unless otherwise designated. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.


Thanks ALWAYS for visiting!

I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.








2 comments:

  1. This post is one of my favorites,the tablecloth is exquisite and the dishes are fabulous!Hugs,dear Sandi,I am happy I can leave a comment now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am too....you are one who inspires me to drag my dishes out...! I love the tablecloth too. I have placemats and a runner, when I don't want all of it out, Sandi!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!