Monday, March 21, 2016

Garden Show:Navy Pier


Chicago Flower and Garden Show at Navy Pier, Chicago 

Navy Pier celebrates its 100th year anniversary in 2016. We usually go to the Spring  flower and garden show every year, but we missed it this year. I so enjoy smelling dirt and flowers in the middle of a Chicago Winter. These pictures are from the 2013 show, but just looking at them, I swear I can smell wafts from the tulips and roses.


"Built in 1916 as Municipal Pier #2, Navy Pier was planned to serve as a cargo facility for lake freighters and to provide docking space for passenger excursion steamers.
However, with the onset of WWII, the Navy needed much more space for technical training.  In August 1941, Navy Pier was closed to the public, and converted to a Navy training center designated to accommodate up to 10,000 service personnel. A large hangar-type building and a drill hall were built on 20 acres just west of the pier. Six days before the attack on Pearl Harbor, classes began for aviation machinist mates, metalsmiths, and diesel mechanics.

In mid-1946, with WWII over, the Navy returned the pier to the City of Chicago. In the four and one-half years under the Navy, over 60,000 servicemen from the U.S. and Allied nations trained at the pier."

 http://www.chicagomaritimemuseum.org/archives/navy-pier/

Source

Today: Celebrating it's 100th year anniversary in 2016, Navy Pier houses: the Chicago Children's Museum, dockings for various Lake Michigan and Chicago River Cruises, 3-D IMAX theatres, Chicago Shakespeare Theatre, hosts the Tall Ships, America's Cup (sailing race), various shows, exhibits, cultural and social events, multiple restaurants and shops, and a lots of international kiosks. Parking is below, and the facility is served by the trolley system, buses, taxis, and is a doable walk from the train stations on a really nice day. In the summer heat, the pier is always breezy and cool, jutting out into the lake.

THINK GREEN!

One of the first views in the show, was this great collection of Tulips, all in full bloom.

oldnewgreenredo
 You can't help but hum, "Tip-toe, through the Tulips", while walking around this exhibit.


One of my favorite venues is the tablescapes which incorporated the theme, "An Art-Full Table". Each year some table arrangements are displayed with a theme. Sometimes there are specific culture themed tables,  one of my favorites was this Asian inspired table arrangement.


oldnewgreenredo
From the antiques and Chinnoiserie fabrics, the pearl-inlaid chairs to the gorgeous blue and white porcelain chairs and vases, this was so my style.  I loved the fabric and the simple use of grasses, branches and simple white mums.

oldnewgreenredo
More elaborate was this sumptious display of vegetables, succulents, roses and grapes from Mariano's, a grocery chain in Chicago which was also a sponser for the show. Love all the colors here...nothing really screaming at you, just lush, rich, and beautiful.


A unique exhibit of shoe/art, from a group of artists:Women's Journeys in Fiber presented Footwear: Women's Stories. They were all gorgeous and unique. I thought these two caught the flavor of the show.

oldnewgreenredo

This represented being in the gorgeous outdoors, and also my well-worn boots I wear while gardening. These sandals are so much fun, with natural fibers, cork, and felted flowers.


oldnewgreenredo
"Cattail Memories on Honey Lake" Julia Rivera
These sandals are so much fun, with natural fibers, cork, and felted flowers.
 
oldnewgreenredo

Most of my pictures were of greenery and garden accents. I loved all the welded sculptures made of old machinery parts and castoffs.  Perfect DIY projects.

oldnewgreenredo

This bronze sculpture of a boy flying a flag is perfect for the Windy City. I didn't find the artist's name. As a mother of boys---their exhuberance is aptly depicted. So was the exhuberance of the daffodills. Mine are out of the ground about 4" and just waiting for a warm day.


oldnewgreenredo

We have a small yard, but our favorites were the water features. Love this quaint Oriental bridge...or is it the bridge over Monet's Giverny pond? This was a sand island, completely surrounded by flowing watercreeks and a huge pond.

oldnewgreenredo

Hiding beneath the bridge were Koi, too skittish to tread water for a picture.


Piano Waterfall Source
Other unusual garden ideas was the Piano Waterfall built into walls of rock and water spilling out of the keyboard. Here the maker's from Aquaspace, Inc. are are celebrating a job well done.


"There's Music in the Water, if you listen!" annonymous
I love the Papyrus. Mine was so root bound last Fall, I let it die. Four years is a long time to keep a papyrus, hauling it in and out of the cold.


My husband would love to have this going into our small pond under the kitchen window...sigh! Someday, maybe.

oldnewgreenredo

I love hosta, which we have many. This lime green plant was particularly interesting, not sure if this striped plant was a hosta or in the dracena family. The azaelas to the left were just beginning to bloom. Thirty-foot Pines and Spruce were dragged in and planted into huge mounds of dirt.


oldnewgreenredo
I covet these metal mushrooms. I wish I had made some pottery ones, when I could. I guess I will just have to watch for some this year. We have a new plant bed...under the small Maple in front we planted late in the season last year. No pretties in there yet, (Gardener'sheimers) I have no idea what I all planted there, now.

oldnewgreenredo
 
A funky salamander and dragonfly on a lily pad, here...so fun. Love the chippy/rusty look of these among the Huechera/coralbells. We have six varieties in our yard, and I'm always on the lookout for more as we have so much shade.

oldnewgreenredo

This large bowl pond would be great for any yard or patio. Lots of little fish were hiding in this one.

oldnewgreenredo

Some sort of daisy here, really not sure, Gerbera or Transval, but they were very fluffy and pale in tones.  I love the mini fern underneath. There were lots of miniature plants in the vendor area for fairy gardens.

oldnewgreenredo
 The vendor area was filled with: home improvements, garden ornaments and furniture,  kitchenwares, wine, bulbs, plants, statuary and just about everything else. 

I half expected to see Dan Akyrod and his "Bass-amatic". But, I always buy some bulbs. It was the fresh flower vendors that took your breath away.

Add caption

I had edited this picture to make into a card...back before windows10 updated and ruined my photo program. I love the fuzzed out edges and the look of a Parisian flower market, too pretty for words.

Now if you are hungry---Navy Pier has umpteen fine restaurants, and many food vendors and carts. But, what about dessert? The flower show even provided a food contest.

I Spy in the Garden-oldnewgreenredo
An "In the Garden" bakery exhibit, was perfect for dessert.  Here, Chicago bakeries took on the flower show. Bakeries are no longer just bakers, now they are artists as depicted by the painter/gardener. this was made by Central Continental Bakery.com


The Art of Gardening oldnewgreenredo
They were all gorgeous but this was adorable, a trio of gnomes in an all edible garden. Notice the two fishing and the one has a pink flower hat on. The bakers that made this were from Lovin Oven Cakery, another old Chicago area company.

What could be more fun than a Flower and Garden Shop.  Hope you enjoyed the mini-tour at Chicago's Navy Pier.


Thanks always for stopping by, hope Spring has come to your neck-of-the-woods, we are still waiting in the Chicago burbs.

 All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own unless noted.  I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions or posts. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle
 I'll be sharing at these fine blog parties:



Sandi

29 comments:

  1. Navy Pier looks like tons of fun! I am a huge history buff, so I think I would love that aspect...and tulips? Well, that's a given!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Navy Pier is a major highlight in Chicago---a must see, and the views back to the City are gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by,Sandi

      Delete
  2. Wow what a wonderful flower and garden show!
    Thanks for joining and sharing this with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    We hope to see you again.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to soon, we are in the middle of a major remodel, so more posts will be coming. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  3. Dear Sandi:
    What a joy it must of been to attend this even and enjoy all these neat displays, arrangements, flowers and unique designs. I am sure you walked away feeling very inspired and full of aspirations. i am so glad you shared this special day and linked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so sad to miss the show this year, but will head to the Chicago Botanic Gardens soon as it quits snowing and sleeting here in Chicago. Thanks so much for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful variety you have shown us here ; thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, the one thing I didn't show was the fabulous vendor area. It was so crowded, you couldn't even think of taking out a camera. But such great finds there. Next time I will take pics of all that. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful variety you have shown us here ; thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I Love that Bowl Pond! They have had Garden Shows here but I've yet to attend one... now that we have a New Home I probably will be attending in the Future for Inspiration and to find just the right Partnering to get what we want when we add Dreamscapes to our landscaping. Happy Spring... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must go to one. Super for the kids too, because there is no age limit to digging in dirt, or doing terrariums, hydroponic gardens which would be ideal mini-gardens for kids anywhere. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the tour, Sandi! I especially enjoyed the metal sculptures and the waterfall piano. The flower bouquet from that grocery store is just gorgeous. It must have smelled heavenly too.
    Happy Easter!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia, everything smelled heavenly. It's a large long and narrow exhibit space...so conducive to arranging specific areas, so you actually do catch specific scents. It is the best thing to do in Chicago in spring. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great show! My dream is to visit Chicago someday. Hopefully when this show is on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show usually is the first and second week in March and runs two weekends and the week, sometimes, 2nd and third weekend. Great time, hope you can make it, Sandi

      Delete
  10. I had hoped to visit Chicago when my son was doing his post doc at the university in Urbana but we never made it. He's in CO now. Oh well. The Show was amazing! I loved seeing all the flowers. The piano waterfall was quite unique and I have always said there is music in water if you only have ears to listen! I really enjoyed your post, Sandi, and thank you for sharing with us. Have a lovely weekend.

    Easter blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandson and his wife moved to Chicago a few months ago so I'll have to pass along info about this beautiful show to them. I love the table with the Chinoiserie details, a favorite style of mine too. And I've written down "There is music in water, if you stop to listen." Such a good reminder!

    I enjoyed this tour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a fun-day--the show runs, two weekends and a week. Thanks for stopping, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow...everything looks so pretty! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandi, what wonderful displays. I absolutely love the little boy flying the flag..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my favorite and I actually use that picture on my FB seasonally. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for showing me a little of Navy Pier and the great flowers. That must have been such a fun day.

    Thanks for sharing at SYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, was a super show, Sandi

      Delete
  16. Hi Sandi, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! That is how I found your blog!
    I have never been to a Flower and Garden Show so far, but seeing your post I think, maybe it is time that I go to one as well. My favorite photos from your post are the tablescapes, the "waterfall piano" and the flower vendors. The latter just make me want to go to a florist and get some fresh flowers for my dining room table right now!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and yes, fresh flowers=daffodils for the soul. Thanks, Sandi

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful location and beautiful show, Sandi! So sorry you missed it this year, but I enjoyed "remembering" 2013 with you :) Thanks for linking up with Vintage Charm--

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was sorting through old photos, and thought it might be a nice share, thanks Diana, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful Garden and Flower Show!! Wish I lived closer! Thanks so much for sharing the lovely photos! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Jody

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!