Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Midwest Gardening: What's Blooming this Week

Every time I see the word or hear it, Blooming----I think of Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady" all dressed up in white and black, at the Ascot races and hollering (ladies don't holler)...." Move your Bloomin' ....", well, you can finish that one.

That's pretty much how we in Chicagoland feel about Spring! Come on....MOVE IT!

oldnewgreenredo

Anyways before the next hail/windstorms ruins what IS blooming here, I will just Post these and please enjoy

oldnewgreenredo

Sage---we are just beginning to clean out some planting beds, leaving plenty for the bees and beneficial bugs to hide in for the next few frosts. (tonight)

oldnewgreenredo

Thick DayLilies and a NEW fence...on the north end of the property, we have great neighbors and 'jaw over the fence' regularly.

oldnewgreenredo

Clematis...hope it makes it 

oldnewgreenredo

Our 356 ft deep Well, surrounded in Daffys and Day Lilies. 


oldnewgreenredo

East side Yellow Tulips, Peonies coming on the left. I think they grow 6 inches a day.

oldnewgreenredo

Here and there and in unplanned places are Hollyhocks

oldnewgreenredo

Not sure what this is...didn't write it down last year when I moved everything


oldnewgreenredo

I do believe our last year's late Japanese Eggplant seeded...which would be great they are really hard to find plants of these (the long skinny-nummy ones)

oldnewgreenredo

Hostas that have survived the bunnies chewing on them.

oldnewgreenredo

More bunny damage back here, but Iris are a hardy lot--
I planted these last fall from a yard sale find...crossing my fingers,

oldnewgreenredo

There is always that plant that manages to survive in a crack, I'm thinking this is Lemon Balm, which can be very invasive. I recommend them only in pots.

oldnewgreenredo

A variegated perennial green that is in this planter ---I have long forgotten the name ...but it's COMING again for may the 10-12th year?


The pond had a few Daffys and the Iris are growing each day. 

oldnewgreenredo

Succulents and creeping sedums are coming around the edges... I have to find where their fishing poles blew too, it's not the Windy City for nothing.

oldnewgreenredo

Look at all the pollen pods on the evergreen....no wonder I'm living on Wali-tin

oldnewgreenredo

These Narcissus are so pretty, they will be on the list to split this year.

oldnewgreenredo

Of course there is always Spear Mint, Crabgrass and Dandelions, UGH!

oldnewgreenredo

The periwinkle ground cover is very happy this Spring


oldnewgreenredo

Tulips and Creeping Sedum.

oldnewgreenredo

So pretty! UNDOCTORED PHOTOS!

oldnewgreenredo

This winter was so dreary and light on snow, I shoved some artificial plants from my stashes along the walkway in the containers.

oldnewgreenredo

I actually like that the spaces are filled with something during our barren times.

oldnewgreenredo

These are plants from my shop I closed in 2006
 and this is better than sitting useless in buckets...

But, in another two-three weeks, they will be filled with plants from the greenhouse and the garden centers....

And we just have to have another look at the 
REDS!

oldnewgreenredo

I didn't edit any of these photos---we had sunshine for a few moments and just grabbed the chance! 

HAPPY SPRING-FINALLY!

If you enjoyed this post, please follow this blog by blogger or 
FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!



The photos in  this blog are my own or I have permission to use them from family. Any others will be attributed to source if possible.
I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog 
without my permission. 
Thank you for your cooperation, 

Sandi


6 comments:

  1. Hi friend, seeing new growth in the garden is so refreshing after a long winter. My daffodils are in full bloom and the tulip are up, patiently waiting for their blooms. your yard looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Colo...we really do the clean-up very slowly, the bees and bugs are out during the day---we make sure they have somewhere to hide in the cold nights. Thanks for visiting, Sandi

      Delete
  2. I love "My Fair Lady" and I know what you mean about "move it!" (It's 31 this morning here in mid-Michigan.) But at least we are seeing some blooms (though I did bring in a few pots last night -- just to make sure I didn't lose them!) It's nice to see things waking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we really had a cold night, the greenhouse went down to 43 with the heaters on...YIKES, but it looks likes that's the end for now. I just need to get the planters out so I can start my squash, pumpkins, and more flowers...no room right now.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandi. It is raining here this morning, and my garden is loving it. I know with your long winter, you are enjoying what is coming up! Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandi - I've enjoyed the garden tour! Spring blooms are just the best, aren't they? I think we have similar tastes when it comes to garden ornamentation (well, ornamentation in general, actually), so I really loved the new butterfly fence, the bunny amidst the periwinkles, the fisherfolk by the pond and the dragonfly on the watering can planter - to mention but a few! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!