Friday, April 12, 2024

Midwest Gardening 2024: Late Start in the Greenhouse Part 2 with Video


Ad-Free Blog


A quick GREENHOUSE video---I wing it, so bear with me when I stall and knock stuff over. I've never claimed to be perfection, snort.


oldnewgreenredo

A few other views of what's going on. Short pots of Rununculus and some Heirloom tomato seed starts. The tomatoes will need to be transplanted next week.

oldnewgreenredo

Two different kinds of peppers which will be transplanted into larger pots next week. It will be at least a month before they go into big pots and into the garden. I will be sharing with 4 families on these. The Oxalis on the right was overgrown for it's nursery pot...so I planted it in one of my favorites.

Down below is all the equipment I need to grab just inside the door. The curry comb is used for fish scaling...lol, not gardening.

oldnewgreenredo

Another shelf is holding containers waiting to be planted a bit later.

oldnewgreenredo

These are all the transplanting pots waiting for the seedlings. 

oldnewgreenredo

Ixilis bulbs and the tray of Coleus which are just beginning to color out...which will need transplanting next week, I share these also with friends and family.

oldnewgreenredo

I still haven't figured out where to hang my tools...working in an updated space is always a challenge. We lowered the table shelf by 4" and that is much better for working on. I have two temperature gauges which you definitely have to keep an eye out.

oldnewgreenredo

Underneath the work table is my dirt bin, which holds a mixture of compost dirt and purchased potting soil. I'm using moisture control soil this year because it was so hot and dry last year. Our compost soil has waste, leaves, and peat moss added to it...so it's got a very nice quality to it. We dump all our pots into the compost pile at the end of the season, and churn it up...and then reuse the next year.
oldnewgreenredo

I had the heater on very low the other day because it was so cloudy. Last night we didn't even need the heater and low temp was 49 degrees this morning at 6am.

Almost all the rust oblong planters hold veggies: Lettuces, onions, radishes, spinach and two with Nasurtiums...which are pollinator favorites. I will be moving the veggie planters out on the railings as soon as they begin to grow---probably the end of next week. (I'll need the space for all the transplants!)






oldnewgreenredo

I've started more trays of Marigolds all sizes, and Zinnias. End of next week we will start the warm season plants: Zucchini, Summer Squash, Pumpkins, Squash. 

There will be something new going on every week, Spring is a busy time for gardeners. Now if Hubby can get some of the garden tilled, we will be set for business (Beets, turnips, onions, and who knows what else.)


oldnewgreenredo

Almost all the mess is gone from our project....now to get the deck scrubbed and the waste cleaned up on the deck. We are SHISH KA BOB_ING this weekend with the kids, it's supposed to be in the 70's and we will 
PLAY YARD GAMES FOR SURE! 

WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING FOR THIS WEEKEND?


Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!


The photos in  this blog are my own or I have permission to using them from family. Any others will be attributed to source if possible.
I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog 
without my permission. 
Thank you for your cooperation, 

Sandi





4 comments:

  1. No matter how later your start, it will be ahead of mine, Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi, your starting time is perfect. One can only imagine what a delicious salad is in the works. Happy Gardening my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, Judy. Honestly my mouth was watering as I was planting. We have very few plants available right now here, mostly bushes and perennials. An asparagus spear popped up in the garden---second year...really anxious for that. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  3. So much hard work at a garden but also so much happiness! Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!