Thursday, March 14, 2024

Spring and Midwest Gardening 2024 : Mid-March Miscellaneous

Ad-Free Blog

Happy Spring somewhere in the USA, dear Readers. Here in Chicagoland it is a bit IFFY, day to day.


This is the extent of my Spring decorating. We have so many projects and messes going on right now, decorating is last on the list. I have removed 90% of the red in our home, but we are stuck with the red chairs in the living room. 


Here in the kitchen, it is all about blue and white pottery-much with a Dutch theme, and a few tulips and daffodils. 


I found the adorable peasant applique towel to cover the TV...in an antique store, it's too sweet, a little red is fun!


The top shelf has Daffodils, Dutch shoes and a very old German paste bunny. The Tulip plates are almost 20 years old, I don't remember where they came from, Crate and Barrel maybe?


My Spring linens are AWOL somewhere in the 50 tubs out on the summer porch. That's on the TO DO List. 


I pulled out a linen towel desperately in need of ironing
 (I don't iron anymore, do you?) But Christmas Pig is messy when eating. The marbles are a jar full of fun for Spring! The Tulip card was for my Birthday in February while the French coffeepot is full of faux pansies, but waiting for fresh Daffodils, soon!


The Green is the main decor elsewhere in the kitchen, the seedlings are doing well, and grow by leaps and bounds each day.


An Oxalis plant with a bit of purple...I'm looking forward to growing outside in a pot and maybe wintering back in the house. My porcelain Teapot was a vintage purchase off Etsy.


My IXIA bulbs are all sprouting as well as the peppers, tomatoes and the Ranunculus and Dahlias are unfurling as I type this.


It's raining today with a promise of colder temps again.


Tuesday it was warm in the high 60's and I dragged a big bin around and collected all the big branches and twigs that had fallen in the last storm. It wasn't too bad, but I definitely packed the biggest garbage bin full with branches and my sedum branches, just from the front yard. 
Only things blooming were these crocus that I planted last year.


Our messy beds will stay messy until we have no more frosts---this protects the BEES and other bugs that are nesting in the waste. They dig down and hide under anything that can insulate them to 'sleep' in the winter. It's their winter hidey-holes, so PLEASE leave all your messy waste in the garden, the birds also eat the seeds.
Please SAVE THE BEES!


Apparently we still have critters (bunnies-woodchucks?-deer), chomping down on all our plants. Hubby swears he hasn't seen any tracks? But, then we have no bare ground in our front yard. I will look tomorrow after our heavy rains today.


This Zebra grass is chewed right down to the ground. Tomorrow I will apply coyote urine all around my tulips and grasses, a great natural harmless deterrant.


Those are some pretty big chomps...making me think a deer might be involved.


Grass has begun to green up. The platform was the project hubby started in Fall of 2022, and never got to finish last year with all the basement reconstruction and fruit-basket upset we had to do on our property.




I'm going to have to quit calling this the mound, it flattens each year. This is where we piled all the excavation dirt from building the garage in 2000ish. Can't even remember when for sure. Periwinkle is blooming, but Iris and bulbs are barely coming up here. Daffy's are just spikes as this is exposed and not sheltered at all here.


The crispy roundish leaves are Vinca which were green most of the winter, the last snow definitely burned them though. It's very hardy and I don't think you could get rid of all of it if you wanted to. Great ground cover that kills weeds.


Tuesday, my only Daffy trying to bud. The rain today should make them explode starting tomorrow.


Three years ago we planted 4 new bushes out here...this one is on the SW corner of the lot---shaded and very exposed to drying winds. Despite heavy watering on this corner this poor bush...well, it does have some green sprouting on the lower branches, so we will see. The others are thriving, so 75% is pretty good considering our very hot dry summers these last three years.


Hubby has been working in the greenhouse. The 2" pink foam insulation is being covered with plastic shower wall sheeting which is glued on the surface. He is finishing it off with treated boards. 



This will make it all water resistant and hopefully mouse proof. We had 180 patio blocks delivered this morning at 6:40 am...and it was still dark, LOL. 


We added a few bags of gravely stuff to even out the floor, and tomorrow we will start laying the blocks as tight as possible, and then the shelves can be put back in.




Hubby cut off the lower supports of these shelves and then hung the rest from the ceiling beams? Will this work with dirt filled pots on the shelves, we will see. He can always add supports underneath again after the floor is in place. 

We have had some very vicious storms in the last few years and the greenhouse has held up well, so it's worth the investment to finish this off.


 I can't wait to get everything moved back in and the plants growing in the greenhouse without the company of critters. The new stones on the floor will soak up solar heat/ which will cut the amount of electricity we use in the future. We are looking into a few solar panels down the line to make it off the grid to run the fan and maybe a heater in the cooler months. 

I'll show the floor in the next post, before we fill it up again...LOL. 

HOW'S YOUR SPRING GOING?

If you enjoyed this post please follow this blog by blogger or 
FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this site below the header. 
Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!

The photos in  this blog are my own or I have permission to using them from family. Any others will be attributed to source if possible.
I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog 
without my permission. 
Thank you for your cooperation, 

Sandi


















8 comments:

  1. You have me beat, both in gardening and decorating (I love your blue.) I can't believe I'm writing this but right now in my living room I have one Christmas tree, about eight bunnies, a few nests and a wooden heart. One day I'll get it all downstairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....um, my buffet has the base for the Christmas village still there---minus the snow and all the buildings...the cover needs to be put on and then dragged out to the garage, not an easy feat. So, Jeanie, don't feel bad...and I just took down all the gnomes and snowy things, I still have two on the china cabinet with a big cookie jar full of Winter greens and apples...I'm pretending it's not there, LOL. So Hugs---Sandi and thanks for visiting, lol. PS Put the bunnies in the tree, grins! hang a few eggs and wha-la---it's Spring!

      Delete
  2. Sandi, things are moving along. Before you know it you will be back on track. All the gardens look so bad this time of year. Ours looks like a rat's nest. Glad to know that I am covering all those sweet creatures. Your spring cupboard looks so pretty. Love the blue and white and your greenhouse does look strong, The seedlings will have a nice home again soon..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks Judy---it was nice to have a miserable day of rain and give us a break...lol. Yes, it is coming along. I'll go out today and work on the floor and I bet some Daffy's may be blooming! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  3. Adorable vignettes of your everyday living... Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and have a wonderful Easter season, Sandi

      Delete
  4. Such pretty spring decor Sandy. So glad the greenhouse is holding up. It is so wonderful for plants. I am featuring your post today at Love Your Creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks. I spent the whole day yesterday out there---it is really going to be popping!

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!