Monday, May 15, 2023

Midwest Gardening 2023: Finally getting ready to plant!




oldnewgreenredo

Last Thursday I managed to get the front porch cleaned, all the 'started' plants outside, and the furniture and windows cleaned. 


oldnewgreenredo

I purchased a few plants that I normally start---like herbs and a few flowers.

oldnewgreenredo

Rosemary, Cilantro, Thyme...

oldnewgreenredo

The Liatris bulbs (55) I think all must have sprouted. I put 2-3 in a 4" pot and they certainly have outgrown their containers. With icky weather looming, I chose to harden off these plants on the front porch, back in the shade of the overhang. 
The evening temps have been in the high forties, so that's perfect. Here they are protected from the wind and blazing sun if we have any.


oldnewgreenredo

I did move this broccoli tray to the back porch to wait to go into the Vegetable Garden.

oldnewgreenredo

My Giant Dahlias are almost to big to transplant, I will have to trellis them.

oldnewgreenredo

The Elephant Ears are slowly turning their leaves---that is the last window I have to clean, when the plant gets moved. I really wish it wasn't raining today


oldnewgreenredo

My very limited source of purchased plants. Sadly not using the greenhouse this year, is definitely crimping the budget.

The yard is quickly catching up on the late Spring. 

oldnewgreenredo

Our Viburnum promises to explode as soon as the weather goes back to sun.

oldnewgreenredo

Our Yellow Barberry has exploded---I will have to prune this back. The mild winter has helped some things for sure.

oldnewgreenredo

The Iris are busy making leaves, not too many stalks yet though. 

oldnewgreenredo

I think this is the fourth year for these Hostas, so I may have to divide them this Fall.

oldnewgreenredo

This is our humongous Giant Hosta and it's so beautiful as it unfolds and grows so fast this time of year.

oldnewgreenredo

I love this later variety of tulip that grows in our planter along the steps.

oldnewgreenredo

On the back porch are my coleus which are so slow--planted in early February.


Peppers, Tomatoes and Liatris are ready to go---but the garden isn't tilled yet, 

WE ARE SO FAR BEHIND!

but, gorgeous weather forecasted for Monday planting!

If you enjoyed this post please follow this blog by blogger or FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 


Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!










All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle

Sandi








 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Sandi, you have so many wonderful plants to get in the ground. I really cut back this year on purchasing plants. Then the deer ate many of them down to the stubbs. The price of plants is just crazy. Having to be a bit more frugal with selections and containers. Love hearing from you! Come link up this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a pain. It has been years since we had deer--it's just too developed now. I do have bunnies that love anything new and tender. But, I planted some zebra grass which is so hearty that it comes back no matter how much they chew it! What you saw is probably all I'm going to buy, except for two planters by the street. Yes, we will be cutting way back. I visit your blog but when You have 40 + comments, I don't say a peep, LOL. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  2. Sandi,
    I was ready to buy my annuals to plant this week but there was frost in a few areas this morning and a widespread frost and freeze is predicted on Wednesday with temps. going down into the low 30's and maybe even the 20's!! Maybe next week!! I hope you are having some good weather!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is TEMP crazy we have moderated but who knows what next week will be...grins, Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandi -- this post reminds me I am woefully behind (I did get some seeds in yesterday) and need to go to the nursery. I just haven't felt much up to it this year but maybe it's time. Well done -- it's looking very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...good intentions, our well just went kaput--and no rain in sight, so we won't be planting until we have water...emptied the rain-barrels to save what we have sitting around and what I planted yesterday! Gosh, if it isn't one thing, its another!

      Delete
  4. I am loving your flowers and how you are getting everything ready to plant. Happy gardening Sandi. Thanks for the blog visit and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...good intentions, our well just went kaput--and no rain in sight, so we won't be planting until we have water...emptied the rain-barrels to save what we have sitting around and what I planted yesterday! Gosh, if it isn't one thing, its another!

      Delete

      Delete
  5. You have your own Private Garden of Eden there GF, I'm Green with Envy... lame pun intended. *winks*. Here in the Desert, getting anything that Green takes Mad Skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it's really WAY behind here..of course the well pump blew out a few days ago--so today is the first day since these photos to plant..can't plant without water...as you know! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  6. Sandi,
    I so love to see your work in progress in your Vegetable Garden and in the green surrounding your beautiful home, thank you for sharing such nice images!
    May your Sunday be blessed with Joy
    X Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Dany. It's sort of dragging out, we haven't had rain for over a week, and not scheduled until next week Wednesday. Afraid to put the plants in dry-dry-dry earth! Hugs back! Sandi

      Delete
  7. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a very cold wet spring this year. Hopefully the rotten weather is all behind us now. I do love that hosta it looks so zingy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicagoland has had less than 1 1/2" of rain all of May BY ME,---and nothing in the forecast for another 10 days...seeds and plants are really suffering, water, water, water...I guess no one is ever HAPPy, lol.

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!