Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Old Fashioned Favorite- Pumpkin Spice Bread from Scratch

Ad-FRee Blog 

It's Sunday, and the kitchen ceiling fan sends the scent from the Pumpkin Candle in the kitchen to the living room...and literally making us hungry. 

oldnewgreenredo

Just when everyone is sick of pumpkin-spice and even the color, orange, I decided to make my Pumpkin Bread kicking up the spice and flavor. 

I don't even know where the original source came from and I've been fooling with this recipe for over 50 years. This was one of the things we made to give as gifts when we were first married and in college.  

oldnewgreenredo

Baking or making was what we had to do for for the holidays. Hubby made Birch Christmas Log candle holders for everyone and we baked pound cakes, pumpkin bread, and some favorite cookies as gifts for all our family and friends. 

oldnewgreenredo

Since then we garden, and I grow fresh pumpkin/squash and roast/puree the delicious inexpensive Pumpkin for baking, pancakes, Muffins and this year's Fritters.! 

oldnewgreenredo

Honestly, I like adding the molasses instead of the artificially (browned sugar) or use Turbinado sugar, which is naturally brown.


oldnewgreenredo

PUMPKIN SPICE BREAD.  makes 2 loaves 

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1hr15min.

Mix Dry ingredients in large bowl

Sift 3 1/3 cups of whole wheat/ or unbleached flour, (oat flour can be subst) with the following:

1/2 tsp of baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp each of ginger, nutmeg and cloves (I kick this up to 1 1/2tsp of each)

4 tsp. of cinnamon or more if you are brave!

In mixer mix ingredients with

1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups of sugar or brown sugar. (taste your pumpkin, if it is sweet use the lesser amount)

1 heaping TBSP real Molasses (if using white sugar)

2 cups or 16oz. of fresh pumpkin (or canned)

1 cup of oil, (I've used canola, corn, vegetable, sunflower or combos and all work)

1 cup of water

Blend: then add 4 eggs one at a time until well blended.

Slowly add dry ingredients...Do not beat, but mix until blended completely.

(Floured Nuts may be folded in at this time if you wish, or raisins, or both) 

Fill two greased and floured cake pans. (I doubled the recipe in photos)

oldnewgreenredo
I'm still getting used to my new ovens...there are two ovens. I used the conventional Bake oven part for the bread, as I'm still not use to the convection oven for baking.
Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour to an 1 1/4 hours or until a testing stick comes out clean remove and let rest....remove when cool enough to handle the pans. (I used both glass and dark pans and they all baked at the same rate. 1 hr 15 minutes.)

oldnewgreenredo


Keeps for at least a week in the fridge, and freezes very well.

Enjoy---and it's nice to have a gift for a friend or family member!


oldnewgreenredo

Totally Nummy, and make to your own taste. 

IYou enjoyed this post please FOLLOW IT in the upper right hand corner, to get just one email of each AD-Free post.

I will post at the following Link Parties, I hope you visit them.




All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, unless otherwise designated. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.


Thanks ALWAYS for visiting!

I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.
Thank you for your cooperation,

 Sandi Magle

OldNewGreenRedo


















 



5 comments:

  1. Hi Sandi, your pumpkin bread looks delicious and nice that it makes two loafs of the bread. Thanks for the recipe and for visiting my pumpkin bread recipe too. Have a nice week Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Julie...I know coincidence...thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  2. I love breads like this and the molasses and extra spice takes this a step above some of the fall breads. It looks delish and I'll bet that kitchen smells fabulous while it's baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jeanie. I think I would even kicky up some more with the spice...LOL. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made pumpkin bread, it sounds so good! And how nice to have a bonus loaf to share!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!