Thursday, September 9, 2021

Midwest Gardening 2021: Summer's Winding Down

Ad-Free Blog
I took these photos last week. 

Hope everyone has survived the storms, heat, school starting and the end of summer. It almost seems like someone turns a light switch off, and then Fall begins here in the Midwest.

oldnewgreenredo

Almost two weeks ago, Hubby committed Tomatocide and Zuchinnicide in the main garden. We have one Yellow Summer Squash plant left and one Zuchinni.  Here on the East Fence we have some huge Hubbard squash happily lurking under the large leaves.



oldnewgreenredo

We love Hubbards because they are great keepers just in our vegetable cabinet in the kitchen.

oldnewgreenredo

Here's the Chinese Lanterns before they turn orange.

oldnewgreenredo

We have them growing everywhere, and they are just beginning to turn brilliant orange...I can't wait to decorate with them.

oldnewgreenredo

Our Chinese Eggplants had shut down during the heat, but are now producing some lovely long eggplants.

oldnewgreenredo

Our Dill is still going strong and waiting for the Monarchs, which have been very few this year. Perhaps the heat and smoke has altered their summer patterns?
Do you have Monarchs this year?

oldnewgreenredo

Our Giant Sedum is busting out---still in whitish fronds that will turn pink, then rust with the cooler weather. This is a great plant for hotter and dryer conditions, which seems to be the trend here in Upper Illinois.

oldnewgreenredo

The Hot Peppers are struggling, even with watering all the time...but they have peppers more than we will use in a year. First pot has Basil and a Red Pepper.

oldnewgreenredo

Look at this...in the middle of my Candy Cane Zinnias...lovely bloom I'd call this ==Quarter to Two== or Last Call.  Not too long after this photo---this bloom disappeared, ripped off the stem apparently by a delivery person? 

oldnewgreenredo

Here you can see the normal blooms on our front stairway. It's a shame, I was going to save the seeds on that one? We are in the process of installing security cameras. So, Beware, you will be on camera soon!

oldnewgreenredo

This crazy (squirrel/bird planted) sunflower continues to bloom...and my 8-10" marigolds starting from seed in the greenhouse are monumental and almost 18" tall, thick and green, under this tree. This is another hearty variety that was happy where it had some shade relief from the sun. 

oldnewgreenredo

The focal Dahlias I planted in these pots---are finally starting to bloom. This is the only Petunia still going out of a dozen or so, I used in my planters. They just didn't survive the heat.

oldnewgreenredo

Nature is so beautiful in all stages of growth---here's a pretty lady in tatters.

oldnewgreenredo

The mailbox planter gets continuous sun and wind. It's really had a hard time this year. The Petunias are done and even the marigolds are struggling. Purple sage is starting to bloom. 

oldnewgreenredo

On the front mound, all the perennials have shut down, except this rose is giving it another shot. 

oldnewgreenredo

Under the Spruce tree, the Caladiums and Hostas, try to win over the peppermint...lol. Guess who will win! The plant on the left is the remnants of the white Alyssum I grew in the greenhouse that was fabulous and huge all summer and now winding down.

oldnewgreenredo

Every Hosta has huge blooms. A profusion of stalks with varying shades of lavender/pink.

oldnewgreenredo

This Giant Sedum begins to blush! 

oldnewgreenredo

The Elephant Ears have survived several storms. Tuesday we had a real tough one, I actually went into the basement. The aftermath is a lot of branches and greenery down, and a huge limb (12") landed in the pumpkin patch. No photo---yet.

oldnewgreenredo

There are bits of lushness here and there.

oldnewgreenredo

oldnewgreenredo

Even the Sweet Potato Vine was limp...it was still very hot when I took these photos last Friday.

oldnewgreenredo

I will say, insulated pots---do help in the hot summer.

oldnewgreenredo

The Rex Begonia finally recovered. I almost lost it in Spring to frost. 

oldnewgreenredo

We are winding down too, but Hubby keeps busy and painted the trim on the greenhouse on the outside. He took out the sandbox, and now the hammock has a place on new paver base. Way better than moving it to cut the lawn.

oldnewgreenredo
Hoping your end of the year Midwest gardening goes well. 
We had a Pig Roast over Labor Day...and it was gorgeous outside, but that's a separate post, see you then.

Hugs from the Midwest!

If You enjoyed this post please FOLLOW IT in the upper right hand corner, to get just one email of each new post

      I will happily read each comment and answer every question!

Please Join me at these fine blog parties:


Please do not use my photos without a link back to this blog without my permission.

Thank you for your cooperation, 
Sandi 
 
oldnewgreenredo
 






 

28 comments:

  1. The person who delivers your mail each day must smile when he sees your colourful flower box; it is so pretty. Your garden is beautiful. How unfortunate your "quarter to two" dahlia was pilfered. It is funny sometimes the way flowers conjure up their own colour combinations. The new trim colour on the greenhouse looks great. Such a happy little place in which to retreat. Enjoy your Fall and all its glorious colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim. I'm going to give the box another week to see if it perks up or stick pumpkins and mums in there. We really do love the yard, and we have some lovely weather--I confess I was barely outside for a month it was just too hot! Thanks for stopping by! Sandi

      Delete
  2. Dearest Sandi,
    your vegetable garden is truly stunning and your green house is so welcoming...you've created such a cozy place where to spend happy hours!
    In Italy this Summer was truly pitiless, in our gardens everything is dried up due to the drought we are still fighting against, it hasn't rained for months and the temperatures are still high, alas!
    Watering everything every day wasn't enough to save our plants...
    Sending hugs and more hugs across the many miles
    Xx Dany (Daniela at ~ My little old world ~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Daniela, it was a tough year here. We have a very deep well and watered constantly, so sorry to hear that it was so hot. I watch the weather in Denmark---and they have had a very warm. summer also and so far North. Hope you get some rain soon. Hugs, back, Sandi

      Delete
  3. You have such a beautiful garden, all those colors are what late summer is all about!! Love the orange lanterns...someone just recommended I use some for fall decorating. Too bad, mine will have to be faux!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you---I had always bought faux lanterns. I think some seeds I planted were mislabeled, because these are everywhere??? Wonder if 'cheap' seeds is a good or bad idea! LOL. I'm waiting for them to turn...hurry please! Thanks for stopping by, Kim! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  4. Your gardening skills are amazing Sandi! My favorite is your candy cane zinnias, how much fun are they! I love the Chinese Lanterns too, so many wonderful things blooming in your garden!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jenna...we got a reprieve this week and the Sedum are so pretty, thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you....still watering here like crazy though! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful garden, Sandi!! Everything is amazing!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pretty much was feral this year, with the heat, finally got some clean-up done this week, thanks for visiting!!!Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  7. Hi Sandi, I'm very impressed -- your veggies look fabulous. My blooms are on the way out but the basil is still going strong. Pesto is in my future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My basil is very pale...I guess it will be pale pesto here...thanks for stopping by, Jeanie!

      Delete
  8. I am in awe of your garden, even if it is winding down! Mine is, too, which always makes me sad that soon my deck will be bare, instead of lush. Too bad about that zinnia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, I move pots around to the best spot as the sun changes to the south. Thanks for stopping by, Amy!

      Delete
  9. Hi Sandi. Things are starting to slow down, me included! My Chinese Lanterns are in full bloom now but are so entwined with other things it is hard to see them. Our garden is looking messy now because the phlox is so prolific in its blooming but it goes all at once so it doesn't add any beauty to the garden that's for sure. We even had rain during the night last week, which was a blessing and wish we had a little more..Happy Sunday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean on the lanterns, I was pulling weeds yesterday (LOTS), and mistakenly yanked a whole bunch. We still need rain, but had some nice temps this week! Hugs, Judy!

      Delete
  10. Those squash look fabulous. It's a new veg to me and I hope to grow some next year. I am looking forward to seeing my solitary pumpkin ripen. Autumn is sliding in here in England. The days are shorter and the nights growing dark quite quickly now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cherie, yes, it is amazing how quickly the sun travels south. It's hitting my bedroom early now...just peeking around the two story garage at 7:30. Hopefully the temps will moderate premanently--hard to work outside whenit is so hot! Have a beautiful fall in NEngland...really want to go to Penn for the foliage, but not until we can travel! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  11. You have a very lovely garden, Sandi.

    I especially love the Chinese Lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Veronica. I do miniature doll settings, and am hoping to use the smaller lanterns there. HOping they will all turn orange, greetings to your part of the world...! Sandi

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed looking at your garden pix so much. Put my puny efforts this year to shame! I've had 4 small tomatoes and about as many cukes--no one had good luck with cukes around here (Maine) this year. I grew Chinese lanterns years ago but got discouraged as some bug attacked the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Kathy---when the heat hit, I never did a thing except help water...fortunately I had early weeded the veggie garden and that held---but my goodness I pulled two garbage cans full yesterday out of just the front. Still waiting on the lanterns to all turn orange, and they are EVERYWHERE????. LOL. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  13. Your garden blooms are lovely! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Sandi your garden is still giving and giving. I love the sedum and the Chinese lantern. Happy Gardening and Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, we are almost ready for final harvest. The heat has so ended the season this year. And Happy Autumn back, Pam!

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!