Saturday, September 14, 2019

Lo Carb Chicken and Vegetables

Ad-Free Blog

Good Morning bloggers and friends!




The beginning of the this week was very busy. We are trying to finish up outdoor projects. I only have 6 weeks before my knee replacement, and there is a lot to accomplish before then.


We pretty much picked the garden bare on Monday because the critters were eating everything faster than the veggies could ripen. After a few days in the house, the tomatoes were all ripe. Zucchini is still and issue---a good one but still an issue. 

Midwest gardening has been pretty good despite crazy weather, and our small garden has had some great yields.


I made a jug of Danish pickles with some more cucumbers I had waiting in the fridge without the dill, recipe Danish Dill Pickles.

I also made Eight 3-cup containers of spaghetti sauce for the freezer, without the meat. Then it can be used with any type of meat or cheese. I simmered  that for about 4 hours and it was really nummy. (I pulled 2 bags of tomatoes out of the freezer to help do the sauce. I chop my tomatoes, skin and all, to make sauce. This gives you a rich deep red sauce and it thickens well).

We farm GREEN organically, so I don't have to worry about harmful things on our veggies. 

That evening we had roasted chicken and vegetables. We are eating low carb for health reasons, and also because it is good for you.






We have our own fresh herbs growing, so I cut up zucchini, onions, tomatoes, basil, cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley and garlic. This is very low carb and delicious. You could easily add smaller potatoes to this also.


A delicious way to celebrate the end of summer.

Lo Carb Fresh Herbal Chicken and Veggies. 4 servings 

I used a rectangle glass pan or baking dish

Place all in 
1 1/2-2 pounds of your favorite chicken parts cut into portions.
4 medium tomatoes quartered
2 medium onions quartered 
1-2 garden peppers
1 medium to large zucchini cut in half rounds of 1-2"
(If you use a very large zucchini- scrape the seeds out if you wish)

Drizzle all with 2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil
Sprinkle over the dish, the following:
4-6 cloves of garlic chopped fine

A large handful of mixed fresh herbs: basil, parsley, cilantro, oregano, thyme (pull off the stems and chop larger pieces)

Salt and pepper to taste (you could certainly add hotter peppers here, also)

Toss all this with your hands until all the herbs and oil are distributed and re-arrange everything evenly for baking.

Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours on middle rack. 

To add richness, you could sprinkle with your favorited Italian cheese 30 minutes before finishing. I've also done this with Asian eggplant-the long skinny ones, split and cut in pieces

 (I leave the skin on the chicken to keep it moist, and remove before serving-you can also use 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts split down the middle into 4 pieces.

We had a fresh salad with the garden cucumbers and lettuce...a complete meal and only one dish to clean up! 

(PS this is my own recipe and way of cooking fresh and without preservatives)

Enjoy!











6 comments:

  1. Your recipe looks delicious!Thanks for sharing!Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you---for stopping by...just everything from the garden, lol, except the chickens, Maristella. Fresh, fresh, fresh!

      Delete
  2. This looks so yummy. I am working on keeping the sugar and carbs out of my diet and this would be a great dinner for us. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the upcoming knee surgery.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly the kind of meal I've been trying to switch to! Printed the recipe out as a one pan meal is a definite plus. I'm focusing on Mediterranean recipes but after all, what is that but just garden vegetables, herbs and spices and lean protein? We only grow herbs and tomatoes now so I admire all the good things you grow in your garden.

    It sounds as if you are prepared to still eat well during your recovery from surgery with all that good produce ready for winter. I spent 3 months in physical therapy this summer trying to avoid knee surgery so I dearly wish you a safe surgery and sure recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh, good luck on your knee. I'm bone on bone, and three partially torn ligaments. Two months of therapy helped, but only for walking. Good Luck and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This dish looks so good Sandi and you got so many veggies from your garden! Thanks so much for your visit to my blog and the sweet comment you left on the sausage and peppers dish I made. Enjoy the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!