Monday, July 2, 2018

Eyes and Sight are precious!

One of the reasons I haven't been around BLOG-Land lately is I have had a problem with my eyes.

It started probably a few years ago, having problems threading needles, squinting with one eye closed, and then the other one----? Trying to read for extended periods of time. Driving--seeing street signs.

Why don't my glasses work?

Why do they keep giving me the wrong prescription?


You know--squint, is one or two better? 

In December I had a  young guy do my test, ...definitely fresh from school. I repeatedly told him I couldn't see the images
 or saw two lines of images when he could bring them in focus. 
When finished---the prescription--was no change???? 
Doctor's suggestion DRY EYES---heat packs, drops, etc. etc. 





Like a good girl---you know the 'good girl' syndrome----from the 50's ---"shut up and do as your are told!" So I did, I did the hot packs, drops, vitamins, allergy drops, wet drops....ugh!

I've worn glasses since my 40's. Then 10 years ago--tri-focals, which never really seemed to work. 
I lived in the house with my prescription readers designed for close to about 5 feet away what I called my computer glasses. And, really only wore the tri-focals when driving or out in public.
Nothing ever seemed to be truly ---IN FOCUS!


Like those of a certain age---?70's?, one hears of night driving issues. How about every intersection looking like a Macy's Christmas display? Halos and multiple images...and then it got worse.

I started not being able to read street signs, until on top of them. I began taking backways, and non-busy intersections, sometimes hard to do in Chicago suburbs.


While, my Ophthalmologist had been totally on board for checking for glaucoma and screenings for diabetes, she wasn't involved in the testing for my glass prescriptions. Finally in May, I asked if I could have another 'eye prescription' check---because I wasn't comfortable with the 'no change' in prescription. And, I thought I really needed new glasses. 

The ophthalmologist asked a series of questions. 

Did I see Halos?

Did I have Trouble reading or double images?

Were there issues of Night driving

Did I have a Sensitivity to bright lights, sun?

When I replied, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and I said, I saw two stop lights with one eye and three to four with the other making sometimes six lights with both eyes open.

(It's not really a good idea to close one eye when driving). 

Also, I had problems with the overhead light on my stove, way too bright.

Her eyebrows went up. Immediately she immediately made an appointment for me to see an eye surgeon because she suspected I had cataracts.

An eye surgeon??? I worried it might be something worse....I waited for the appointment.


At the eye surgeon, after 3 hours of testing and a thorough exam---
they said, I HAD CATARACTS in both eyes. Surgery dates were set and detailed directions for drops and list of return visits.

 My first laser surgery was on the worst eye, June 19 and now 3 weeks past, I'm seeing well with  distance, but my reading focus will be different. So I am back to squinting for distance with one eye, but, no multiple vision in that eye.

The next eye will be done on July 5th. and then after three weeks, I can be tested for a new prescription and new glasses.  This post was a struggle for me to see and type. But I think this message is important. 

If you have any of the SYMPTOMS above--speak with your Optometrist or Ophthalmologist, NOW!

All the opinions  in this blog are my own. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.

I have use public domain photos for this post.

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

Sharing at these Ad Free blog parties-with ads not in the middle of the blog (I'm going to try and see if this is possible)

Share Your Cup
Finding Silver Pennies Party
Best of the Weekend
Amaze Me Mondays
Talk of the Town
Thursday Favorite Things
Friday FavoritesFriday Favorites

Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle
Sandi














7 comments:

  1. Hope you are seeing better very soon, Sandi! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda....2 weeks out of second surgery 20/20 far vision and have temporary, strength 1.0 readers. Final assessment on August 9. And night vision is perfect at 70---I don't think I could ask for a better result.

      Delete
  2. I wish you a speedy recovery!Hugs!P.S. Here is different:usually the ophthalmologist is, at the same time,the eye-surgeon and the optometrist.My Mom had her cataracts surgery some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still have to see my regular Opthamologist, who treats glaucoma, diabetes and dry eye issues. But, 2 weeks out of second surgery 20/20 far vision and have temporary, strength 1.0 readers. Final assessment on August 9. And night vision is perfect at age 70---I don't think I could ask for a better result.

      Delete
  3. So good you finally got your eye problem sorted. How very frustrating for you. Hope your eyes are seeing everything clearly soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, yes, 2 weeks out of second surgery 20/20 far vision and have temporary, strength 1.0 readers. Final assessment on August 9. And night vision is perfect at 70---I don't think I could ask for a better result. Yay!

      Delete
  4. Sandi, so glad they finally diagnosed you correctly. Hubby has had one removed and could see much better right after. Thanks for sharing with SYC. Continue healing my friend!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!