Saturday, June 20, 2015

Revamping Wicker!

Revamping Wicker! 


Good Morning! I thought I would share my favorite place, my spot in my house…on my back enclosed porch.

My Mom was a bit of a nut in the 1960s and collected wicker --just about anything. I followed suit and picked up many pieces, some which I have left go and some I have kept.

I picked up this lounge chair (the last piece~~I swear on my 'junker bible') to finish off the back porch which is full of inherited, scrounged and resale finds. One of the reasons wicker is so enduring and stays popular is it is light and airy, and so comfortable in summer.

REDO~~~Wicker is an easy and low cost fix, just a bit of elbow grease and endurance.

All my wicker has been wire brushed to remove the loose dirt and paint, extensively soap/washed and hosed down, then dried completely.

To paint: Use a spray gun or a heavy bristle brush with a good quality white latex indoor/outdoor paint to completely cover every nook and cranny. A final spray of white acrylic enamel will give the surfaces a tight finish for cleaning, this can be canned or spray-gunned. This technique saves on the amount of aerosol paint needed for a good finish.

This paint combo has stood up to years of wear and had to be refreshed only after forty years on my older pieces. Some yellowing may occur on older pieces.


The cushion cover is a heavy triple-weave, all cotton table cloth.



The pillows are: ticking covered, the plaid is two summer napkins with fringed edges. The blue tablecloth on the round wicker table is a family piece of Hardanger embroidery from Denmark. I use a sister piece of this as a backdrop for pictures in my shop.





A silk fern is used in the lamp because the lamp is too top heavy with a pot. The rewired lamp is from the early 20th century and small IKEA bulbs cast a soft glow. I have resisted re-adding the six inch fringe that was on this lamp when my mom found it, as it really makes it ~~~just too much.

This is a Sweet spot to read, blog, list times in my shop, https://www.etsy.com/shop/BarberryLane or cuddle a grand-baby and read a book.

 LOVE IT~~~THIS IS MY SPOT!

 


All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions or posts. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!