Sunday, June 2, 2024

Midwest Gardening 2024: What's Blooming on May 31, 2024

Ad-Free Blog

Hi, Gardeners. What a Chicagoland Spring...we actually had some warmer temps this May, so our work load was major for May. Hubby and I are catching up on all the projects we weren't able to do last year. 
oldnewgreenredo

The Greenhouse was stuffed with plants, veggies, and flowers, and I have been diligently planting. Downside of this lovely Spring with
TONS-BUCKETS-DELUGES of RAIN. 
While April was dry---May has been raining at least 4 times a week. 
Here's a short video of the front yard. I'm still learning video and there was some glaring bright sunshine here on Friday so shade your eyes, despite my editing.


Sorry for the abrupt end, finger slipped off. I have a Hydrangea, Rose hiding in all that mess. Plans are to dig this area out and get some proper mulch down again. 
This is what I've planted and blooming in the front. 

Walking towards the back, the Pond has masses of Peonies which have literally exploded and drooping despite support.

oldnewgreenredo

The pond runs clear, all the leaves, petals, and bits have sunk to the bottom. I need to add some more rocks for possible Froggies. It's always a challenge to get the pumps working in Spring, and it finally seems to be working well.

oldnewgreenredo

Of course the Fishing Couple have lost their poles AGAIN. And, I have used all my bamboo in the Pea Pots...hmmmm, I will have to find something!

oldnewgreenredo

On the East side we have the moss covered fence...this should bleach off with the sun here over half the day. This birdhouse is starting to really deteriorate, I will have to give it a face lift. Now the Iris is one that I planted last Fall. I bought a few buckets of Iris at a garage sale, and these were marked Blue...but they aren't but are simply gorgeous anyway.

oldnewgreenredo

Amazing to get such flowering the first year. I did some extensive new planting on this side of the yard last year. I think the Hollyhocks will be awesome. And, I have some HH babies in the greenhouse to keep the displays going for next year. Hollyhocks are Biennial and need to be planted each year to have continual blooming.

oldnewgreenredo

My containers are getting a good start. I did buy Impatiens, but everything else is from the greenhouse except for the Creeping Charlie which wintered over in lots of places in the ground and I'm just digging it up and plopping it wherever for color.

oldnewgreenredo

I have three large pots of Impatiens, Caladiums and Coleus going under the roof edge extension.  We need another layer of paver base over here, to freshen it up.
The paver base covers and area we couldn't keep grass on, and need a firm surface for the lawnmower and heavy carts we use. Nice to have a non-trip surface at our age.

oldnewgreenredo

Coleus, Caladiums, Impatiens and greenhouse Alyssum. The squirrels have already rearranged these, and I had to replant.

oldnewgreenredo

I have very little in the Perennial starter bed. But look at this second year Delphinium...wow...I think it is going to be white, and I will transplant it towards Fall by the pond.

oldnewgreenredo

This gorgeous Colorado Columbine is second year also---and is lovely.  I may leave it here in this shady part of the yard. The soil has been super amended in this bed, full of compost and leaves. It's a great place to let roots and bulbs grow safely with partial shade all day.

oldnewgreenredo

On the north side I call this blooming---we have two huge Rhubarb plants...I'm going to try and can some as we only have one freezer now. Definitely Rhubarb pudding/or pie this week.

oldnewgreenredo

My second year of a new Clematis and it's finally taking off. This area gets a lot of sun. Bunnies have pretty much eaten all my new flower starts here this year. My fifteen Liatris have literally disappeared. I have to really raise everything up in the air. We are sprinkling spraying deterrents but the heavy rains just wash them away.

oldnewgreenredo

Another one of the 'BLUE' Iris...sure matches my insane chives, which are eternal.

We finally fenced the north side with some sweet lightweight metal fences with orange butterflies at the top. Easy construction as we had big beams along this border and it's in the electrical/phone easement and now the fence is easy to remove.

oldnewgreenredo

Not quite in bloom yet. I really trimmed the climbing Rose back this year because it was insane last year. 
  Result: I think we will have some gorgeous blooms anyway, you can see the clumps of buds. Most of our birdhouses are full of birds, which makes working in the back yard so pleasant! 

oldnewgreenredo

I planted my Greenhouse seed Heirloom Tomatoes 10 days ago and they are already blooming. I dug deep 12-15" holes because the plants were so huge. This is early for tomatoes here in Chicagoland. My Green and Carnival Peppers are starting to bloom also.

oldnewgreenredo

Inside the Greenhouse: We have cool nights and warm/hot days right now when it isn't pouring, but I'll try and post more as we go along with the season. I still have trays and trays of Coleus which I will pass to friends and fill more planters.

It's Sunday and I have to get out and plant more of everything, because we had heavy rains all day yesterday and rain forecasted tomorrow and Tuesday.

 But this is what is blooming HERE in Chicagoland right now!

What's Blooming in Your Yard?

I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. 

If you enjoyed this post, please follow this blog by blogger or 
FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will be sharing at these fine Parties!
The photos in  this blog are my own or I have permission to use them from family. Any others will be attributed to source if possible

Sandi






 

2 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous, Sandi. Those irises -- they just take my breath away, they are so lovely. And I very much like your garden "people" and the moon. It's beautiful, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie...it's just been so much work! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!