Thursday, April 6, 2023

Midwest Gardening: April 2023

Ad-Free Blog

The entire country has been plagued with CRAZY weather this year. Think, 200" of snow in California to a 1400 mile long front (yesterday) fueled by 60 degree temperature differentiations, tornadoes, 70mph+ hurricane winds, flooding. 

Original planting forecasts said we would be able to plant in Chicagoland by April 15...not a chance. 

We have standing water in our garden, one day it is freezing, the next day its 65 degrees. YES, simply crazy even for the Midwest.

So, I'm still gardening in my kitchen, hoping to move into the greenhouse this week.

oldnewgreenredo

Coleus and Elephant ears are in here...starting to really grow.

oldnewgreenredo

I transplanted tomatoes last week. We have a fan going all the time on them, to strengthen the stalks. (It really works). I use the tall drink glasses with one small hole drilled in the bottom for drainage. The plastic tote is very nice for supporting the cups. 
Special Post HERE on why we use the cups for tomatoes and planting in the garden.


oldnewgreenredo

Green Zinnias from seed, these were planted too early!

oldnewgreenredo

Peppers are thick and green---moving them into 3-4" pots has really helped them.

oldnewgreenredo

More tomatoes and I have 8 pots of 2-3 Japanese eggplants in them.

oldnewgreenredo

This was a huge dahlia corm that would fit into a small pot. In three days it's a foot high now.

oldnewgreenredo

Broccoli plants look stronger everyday. 

oldnewgreenredo

These are small Dahlias, Cone flowers, something else...slow starters, hoping they will take off in the greenhouse.

oldnewgreenredo

I'm using Miracle grow potting soil for these starts. 
I really need to start my trays of marigolds as well as the squash/pumpkin plants. Also the flower boxes with onions, lettuce, and Nasurtiums. We won't be buying many plants this year as the budget won't allow it at all with the basement disaster.

oldnewgreenredo

 Besides our basement disaster, we need to gut the greenhouse. Seems the mice think glass insulation is a great place to live in...and we will switch to thick styrofoam. This was all planned to do in March---but the basement disaster diverted this plan.

This is a photo from last Fall. Now we have standing water in the garden from this week's crazy weather. While today is glorious sunshine, but a bit chilly.

After helping hubby move into his office down stairs, (we laid vinyl sheet flooring in there yesterday). I may venture into the mouse hut (greenhouse) and attempt to pull out all the insulation after removing all the contents first.

Another Fruitbasket UPSET! 

How are your Spring Gardening

 plans going?!

If you enjoyed this post please follow this blog by blogger or FOLLOW IT which you will find in the upper right hand corner of this page. 



Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.


I will be sharing at these fine Parties!











All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle

Sandi



5 comments:

  1. Yikes. Well, I'm feeling your standing water pain. I have a small lake in my basement. Well, now it's more like a couple of ponds but it's that stinky, musty smell... and still damp, despite the fans and all. But hey, when I look at your basement posts, I recognize how lucky I was. Take care and good luck with the plants -- I'm impressed you have so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you are fighting the mold issues, Jeanie. I'm hacking up still despite being given a clean bill of health on the basement. We are finally making some progress and decent weather, hitting the yard HARD today!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandi! Thanks for the sweet blog visit and comment today. It's definitely been a chilly spring for you and here in northern KY too. My hubby was in Green Bay fishing last week and he said the weather was just awful. Looks like you and I have a nice forecast this week though. Hopefully spring has sprung! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been crazy weather in the northeast, too. Today it was in the 80's, which is odd for mid April. Here in Florida, it has been rainy and extremely windy for the last three days.
    As I read your posts about the basement and your gardening, I've got just one question - when do you sleep, lol!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your standing water. Your gardening skills are shining. The mouse problem is terrible I hope the new materials helps keep the critters away. Thanks for sharing at Love Your Creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!