Saturday, November 13, 2021

Midwest Gardeing 2021: Wrapping Up the Gardening Year!

AD-Free Blog

LAST GARDENING POST for THIS YEAR!

We've had a few gorgeous days, perfect to get the gardens put to bed, 

oldnewgreenredo
oldnewgreenredo

empty the pots, fill up the compost pile, chop up leaves, gather seeds, disconnect the hoses, 

empty the ponds, 

and put the greenhouse to sleep!

oldnewgreenredo

oldnewgreenredo

PHEW! That was a lot to get done!

I had many stilted perennials started in pots, that were hiding in the shade on the backside of the house. I planted everything in this flower bed and covered it with leaves. (17 perennials) Hopefully in spring they can get a good start in new homes. 

oldnewgreenredo

We have burn restrictions here...better for the environment, but hopefully we will have one quick log fire to roast some brats on for supper. We still collect all the branches that continue to fall from the neighbors trees.

Truly, gardening really is never done

 until snow comes.


I had so many plans to redo flower beds this year...but with the HOT temps---I didn't want to risk stressing perennials under the extreme conditions. We will tackle those very early in Spring next year!!!

oldnewgreenredo


Fall is always my favorite time of year, and it seems so short this year. With the hot temps and drought here---everything was so totally delayed. Oddly--our ginkgo and sumacs are now turning red (mid-November) normally they are the first things to do red.

The Maples are late, the oaks are rich and golden, pretty much everything with small leaves has already dropped. It's just been a weird year. 

oldnewgreenredo

I Hope you have some great weather 

to clean up your yard.

Right now, blow-up Turkeys grace our front flower bed. Soon a sled and some newly repaired reindeer will scatter across the front, repair and refresh post coming up!

oldnewgreenredo

We got all the potato vine, 4 Mandevilla, Ivy tree and Hibiscus plants in as and the large squash we had in the garage.

oldnewgreenredo

The new windows won't give as much light as the full length windows. But, with higher heating costs, I'm sure we will save a bunch without that extra exposure from those leaky old windows. 

We will now have snow and seasonal weather forecasted at the end of this week, and so it goes. 

oldnewgreenredo

We usually like to try and put some holiday lights up, (not on) in November, but all the bushes are still green, making that hard. We will see what we can get done. Two nice days are forecasted this coming week, maybe then.

How have you wrapped up YOUR GARDEN???


If You enjoyed this post please FOLLOW IT in the upper right hand corner, to get just one email of each new post.

Thanks  ALWAYS  for visiting,

I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.

I will post at the following Link Parties, I hope you visit them.


All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, unless otherwise designated. Please do not use my photos without permission. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.
Thank you for your cooperation,


Sandi 


16 comments:

  1. You have been busying wrapping up your garden in readiness for the snow which much come. That's sad you didn't have your Fall colour for very long. I guess the colour in your garden for the next little while will be white. Have fun putting up the decorations for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim. We've had flurries this week, and the rest of the leaves are dumping. Hopefully we can get one more pass of chopping them up and then bagging and throwing in the compost pile. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. A garden is always precious... Hugs and blessings dear Sandi. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when it is sad and dreary, lol. Thanks, Sweetie!

      Delete
  3. You have inspired me, we've just had our first freeze and my pots are full of half dead plants, I need to get busy!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's crazy when it was so late this year! We had flurries, so hope you can beat the snow!

      Delete
  4. You have such a large garden to clean up. Well done -- but my! what a job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees finished their dump---hope we can get one more day in...thanks for stopping by, Jeanie!

      Delete
  5. Sandi, you just plain make me tired! Our garden clean up consists of raking leaves and letting the phlox drop their seeds for next year. The garden looks like (words I cannot say here) all winter and I think it will never look good again but then spring happens and we just start the process all over again. Of course, we don't have the payoff that you do either and I admire all that you do. Take a rest but I can tell how much you love it..Happy Monday, my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually leave lots of plants/perrenials for the critters to feast on...but we had some spotting and blight here and there, so I really cleaned a lot up! I know it is amazing how much I get done in the house now that almost everything is done..except those darn late dropping leaves...yes, a few expletives in my thoughts there, lol. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  6. We've got most things done, and I'm looking forward to temps in the mid-60's later this week to finish up. After that, it's going to stay cold, so we've got to get it done! We had a weird fall, too. Everything peaked in the last week, which is about 2 weeks later than usual. Maybe I'm imagining it, but the fall colors look more vibrant this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy. I think you pretty much get the weather we are done with--though you have the ocean moderating your temps---but gosh, NY and Penn have gotten clobbered all year. Glad you had color---we did finally get reds, now---with the rest of the trees empty--but I think that is due to the drought stress. Hugs, always look forward to your photos! Sandi

      Delete
  7. You certainly have such a HUGE garden to clean up!

    Fortunately or unfortunately for me, we live in a condo and our common garden is maintained by the management. But it is nice to have your very own garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My BF, just put grow lights under her kitchen cabinets and has peas growing...LOl. Always room for something green, somewhere! Thanks for visiting!!! Sandi

      Delete
  8. Gardening really is a never-ending job! Can you believe my roses are still blooming here in Texas?! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, yes, weird year!!! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!