Monday, March 22, 2021

Midwest Gardening Mid-March 2021



 Ad-Free Blog

Midwest Gardening Mid-March 2021

Our first blossoms of the new season, Crocus planted last Fall.

Winter was so long here in Chicagoland. We dragged our feet on starting plants this year because of all the late record-breaking February and early March snows. 

Finally, the beginning of March using old plastic seed trays lots of seed starter and potting soil we planted peppers, tomatoes, dill,


 and lots and lots of flowers and set them up on trays in the kitchen.

First things up were enthusiastic Bachelor buttons and Cosmos. I planted seeds that supposedly had a long gestation time, but in the warmth and sun they popped up right away.

I also save some seeds to plant right into the ground in early May. I'm hoping for some early color and less money spent at the nurserys.

We planted less of everything, just enough for ourselves, friends and family. In the living room, I have a lot going on. On top of the table are a Sweet Potato Vine, two Mandevilla, two tall Dracena and a Rex Begonia, I'm trying to winter over. So far, so good.

Under the table are 3-5" round pots are full of  Caladiums, Blue Hosta, and other bulbs. These are on the living room floor. I'll also did a large tote for my elephant ears. 

The Blue Hosta, popped up right away, the Caladiums take more time!


This is the first year I have tried to hold big bulbs over. We will see how they look while they are hibernating. (They were very dry.) They have been hiding down next to an exterior wall of the basement, in dry peat moss. We had so much rain in Fall 2020, I was hoping they wouldn't mold.

I planted them in a mixture of potting soil and peat moss...and they are just sitting on the floor in the living room. They will take forever, I'm just hoping for a hint of growth and then I will transfer them to pots. I just don't have room for eight huge pots in the house.


2020 photo of the greenhouse

We plan on starting Pumpkins, Squash, Peas, Beans, Sunflowers, Swiss Chard, and Zinnias, Marigolds, and Sunflowers in the greenhouse as soon as temps average out beginning of April.

2020 photo of the greenhouse

Last year in the greenhouse...we had heaters going so much, we are holding off right now. AND hubby is fine tuning the insulation in the greenhouse. Making it more snug so less electricity will be used for the heater.

2020 photo of our temperature sytem. Yikes sunshine makes it 102???

You can't leave the greenhouse alone without monitoring the temps. We have a Fan and five windows and a door we can open to keep the temperature even!

 Hopefully we can move the indoor plants out there, also the peppers and tomatoes after transplanting to larger pots.

So far we are on schedule...nice thing about blogging, I have dates of when I did what, as sometimes I forget to write everything in the log book! 


Outside it is very slow to awaken. First we need some rain, promised tomorrow!


And our first budding Daffodil. The Periwinkle groundcover is growing thick everywhere. I split lots of clumps up and planted them all over the mound last year. With the increased sunshine from cutting up the lower branches of our Spruce trees, it is flourishing.


Our little conical bushes did well, we planted last summer, and here are more Daffodils waiting for rain...it is so dry!


This clump of old tulips look a little rough.


And these have been completely eaten. We will be spraying critter deterrent after the rain expected tomorrow. I hope they didn't eat the stems???



The trimmed back Tree Rose of Sharon definitely made seed pods, so we didn't completely kill it in the drastic trim.


last year I bought a mat of succulents, split it up and here they made it through the winter and are sprouting next to the pond! YAY!


More bulbs, I planted about 200 different bulbs, can't wait to see what makes it. These look like IRIS, my favorites.


These are our older Iris, which are quite happy under the dryer overhang of the roof, and getting warmth off the bricks.




Now it's time for me to pick up all the fallen branches, not the leaves and debris,  which is homes to bugs, critters and most important bees and other polinators. Leave your winter debris covering as long as you possibly can. 
GIVE our planet's Ecosystem a chance to do it's job!
It's a GREEN Thing to DO!!!



Please Join me at these fine blog parties:


Please do not use my photos without a link back to this blog without my permission.

Thank you for your cooperation, 
Sandi 
 

















18 comments:

  1. Goodness, you have your own plant nursery both inside and out! By the looks of it you should be overspilling with flowers and veggies within the next couple of months. Good old cosmos, they never disappoint in shooting up quickly, and those irises against the brick wall look like they have a plan to grow and gift you with beautiful flowers. Your garden is going to be a gorgeous sight in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim. WE can hope so...needed some rain. I planted more flowers than food this year...hoping a late frost is avoided. Anxious to see the new flowers! Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  2. You sure have a lot of nice flowers and vegetables growing. I like the blue Hostas. I've never tried to start them from seed. It's nice to see your Spring flowers popping out outside. A little earlier than here. Enjoy you garden growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thelma. WE got starts (root splits) from our super hardware stores, Home Depot, Menards. I don't know what you have up there. But they are pretty vigorous! Thanks for stopping by, Sandi

      Delete
  3. Sandi, it looks like you have another colorful and beautiful summer to look forward to. You are so ambitious and although I don't envy you the work to get there, look how much you have to look forward to and enjoy..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Judy. Well we have to have something to do. After this year of shutdown, the gardening was a God-send. Hugs, and see you soon, Sandi

      Delete
  4. Hello!
    I'm in the Milwaukee area, so it's great tracking your spring via this post. So that tulip shoots don't get eaten, you can use cayenne pepper shaken over the tulip greens. You can get one of those mammoth containers at a Costco or Sam's club kind of place, and dust them with the pepper after a rain. It has worked for me in the past. (I use McCormicks for cooking, smaller size = fresher to me, but for the deer? Costco size.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeanne. I grew up in Racine, so pretty familiar with the bit of difference 70 miles or so can make. I will try that if the critter stuff doesn't work. Good Deer deterent for sure, though we dont' get many of those out here anymore...the city followed us to the country. Thanks for stopping by! Sandi

      Delete
  5. Look at all that seed starting! WOW! I am SO impressed. And nice that you have a good space/light to do it. Can't wait to see the blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeanie. Well we did put up a couple of lights, and today it is dark, but when we have sun the east/south exposure is great. Thanks for stopping by. I usually do 2-3 gardening posts a month...!

      Delete
  6. You have such a green thumb Sandi and you will be rewarded with so many beautiful flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we hope so... my favorite last year were the Caladiums and Coleus, and they aren't even flowers! Hugs, Jenna!

      Delete
  7. Wow, Sandi, you ARE A REAL GARDNER. I have never attempted to plant things from seeds and I use a grow light here in the house for my plants inside. We are north facing and even though I live in AZ.....not enough light with our porch overhang. Can't wait to see if all your seeds make it.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jo. I totally understand the North facing thing. Our backyard is 80% shade and the front maybe 50%. I do pots and move them around to get the best light, I also plant a lot of shade lovers. With your extreme heat, under that overhang, might be just the place most of the time. Thanks for stopping by, and plant anything..how about avacado's they seem to like anylight. Grins, sandi

      Delete
  8. Sandi,
    I would love to start flower seeds but I will wait until April maybe after Easter....I do not have the place to have them inside so I may have to do some sort of mini green house inside....Yep, I am going to try to not buy anything unless I absolutely need something...I will buy flowers for the Summer but I am even cutting back on those as I will be using pots that I already have to replace all the ones in the front of the house that cracked from the ice and snow....
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie. My daughter-in-law is experimenting with water bottles made into mini greenhouses. I will have to post that. Seems it shelters and magnifies the light, and she got some great plants last year. I will see if she can send me some photos...and I'll do a post. I used to do all my pots along the front of the porch and drape plastic over them, it was surprising how much would come up and then I would transplant! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete
  9. So excited to follow along on your garden again this year Sandi! You had some of the biggest veggies I've ever seen last year so I know it's going to be fabulous again this year too. Love seeing everything starting to bloom. Spring is such a gift. Hugs and happy weekend, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. We are still eating beans, zucchini, and I have a huge jar of dill pickles still in the fridge. Thanks so much for the encouragement...and now if all the starts and mother nature can agree....it should be a good year! Hugs, Sandi

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!