Saturday, July 25, 2020

Garden Food:Italian Summer Squash to Freeze


Hi gardeners and friends,

This week our Midwest garden has been producing lots of summer squash and no zucchini. There wasn't enough to pressure can, so I decided to cook some up to freeze, as my refrigerator was getting crowded, LOL.


We are only going to cook the vegetables half-way through and this recipe is low-sodium. I use lemon juice for seasoning and it also helps to keep the vegetables bright and fresh.

Start in an electric wok or frypan with cut small size summer squash. (These are still nicely tight inside with very small seeds). I cut them in equal sized chunks/halves or quarter slices. Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan and cook at 350 stirring occasionally. 

I added hearty shakes with a Italian Seasoning mixture and then 1 tsp of celery salt. (This is one tsp salt for 4 quarts) @

In another pan I sweat at medium heat in 1 Tbsp of olive oil, 1 thinly sliced large sliced red or yellow onion, and 6-8 stalks of celery thinly cut, add 6 cloves of minced fresh garlic, just stir these until they are getting translucent. 



Add the celery and onions to the lightly simmering squash.

In the used pan, add 8-10 garden tomatoes cored and thickly chopped. I use whatever is ripe. Sweat down at medium heat, until they are just breaking down.



When the tomatoes are just breaking down and juicy add, 6 squirts of lemon juice, additional seasoning (I added a heaping tablespoon of my Pesto). 
Stir and then add the hot tomato mixture to the squash. Give it all a good stir, turn off the heat and let cool.


You don't want to overcook the vegetables, just until they have a bit of crunch.


Scoop into meal-size containers or bags. 


This batch made almost 4 quarts.  TIP: Place your 1 quart bag in a 1 quart container to fill. Fill to the container top, when you pull bag out, just enough space will be left to squeeze out air and seal. 


I like bagging as they are easier to thaw, and take the least amount of room in the freezer. We are trimming down to one freezer this year, so I have to think about room. Don't forget to Label and Date! 

You can certainly add salt, pepper or any other seasonings to this when you cook with your Italian yellow squash. Great on pasta, with chicken, pork, fish, or shellfish or as a side-dish. Very light, healthy and refreshing. I love having a taste of summer in December. SMILES!

oldnewgreenredo

Enjoy!!!!















3 comments:

  1. Oh my! You're making my mouth water. I usually sautee it in a skillet with onion but we grill it more often. It feels so great to have good homegrown things in the freezer. We label and date everything too! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi, thanks, and we usually grill, saute', or stir fry our veggies in summer, but I couldn't keep up...so had to get some put up. Thanks for visiting, Sandi

      Delete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!