Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Happy Summer: Finally out on My Porch

We've had a break in the weather in Chicagoland this week. Thank Goodness. Temps have moderated and we have had a breeze off of Lake Michigan that has carried inland and gently cooled the air. 

My chaise is MY SPOT, and it is perfect for working on the computer.
I don't have plants on the porch this year, because it was so hot! 

oldnewgreenredo

Our Porch is filled with old wicker furniture from my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents. Only two pieces are vintage the rest are real antiques, 100 years old or more.

oldnewgreenredo

Toys and children's toys are everywhere.  I just leave them out as part of the decor.


oldnewgreenredo

We have lots of birds on our property, and I have bird items sprinkled everywhere. The porch is perfect for birdwatching, during all seasons.

oldnewgreenredo

The DIY cushions are all made from vintage tablecloths. They are softly fading, but the fabric is so washable and durable---and I don't need to iron them. The table was made by my dad, and painted in a pattern I used for my pottery in the 1990's. It holds up well with a coat of satin poly-acrylic.

oldnewgreenredo

When the family comes, we all collect on the porch. Tubs of building toys are under the furniture. 
The coffee table is often set with a farm or a castle and little animals and figures on great adventures.

oldnewgreenredo


The antique tea cart has a vintage towel I got from Diana, at Adirondack Girl at Heart. American flags are here and there for the summer season.

oldnewgreenredo

The table top was attached to an old wicker library table. We can sit eight here for family dinner or cards in the evening. This is perfect for summer entertaining.

oldnewgreenredo

Again, more tablecloths with some Waverly Plaid as trim.

oldnewgreenredo

Hiding under the table by the window is a bench, perfect for two. 




oldnewgreenredo

I use bandanas for napkins...and the fisherman/mermaid salt and peppers represent my husband and me. The OLD arrangement, gets freshened each year.
I HOPE you are having a Happy Summer, and are safe and enjoying it.

All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.

Thanks always for visiting. 
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.
Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle
Sandi


20 comments:

  1. I love your wicker furniture. If I had a porch, I would certainly furnish it with wicker...how special that you have so many antique pieces from your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia. My mom had most of the pieces up at their cottage. I did add the chaise----from an antique store on sale, and one of the chairs---(not shown) came off the curb, lol.

      Delete
  2. You have a cozy porch with sweet memories...How delightful!Love the mermaid and the fisherman,fun!Great idea using bandanas for napkins.Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louca. Yes, Bandanas wash well, and are nice and big---they come in so many patterns here for around $1.00 or so.

      Delete
  3. Hello Sandi, I've enjoyed seeing your beautiful porch! You have a treasure trove of wicker pieces, all the better because they are family heirlooms. Your family must love gathering on the porch for meals and games and I'm sure there is great conversation there too. Your vintage linens are gorgeous and put to such good use. I know what you mean about how well they wash and hold up, with few wrinkles.

    I scrolled down and read your post on cataract surgery, hoping all went well with the second eye too and that you are amazed at how clearly you see now. I went through that about 5 years ago and am so glad I got it taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dewena. My eyes are great---20/20 distance and only mild over the counter readers 1.00, for the computer and reading. I will get the new glasses later this month. And, we love the porch when it isn't boiling hot.

      Delete
  4. Hello Sandi, I've enjoyed seeing your beautiful porch! You have a treasure trove of wicker pieces, all the better because they are family heirlooms. Your family must love gathering on the porch for meals and games and I'm sure there is great conversation there too. Your vintage linens are gorgeous and put to such good use. I know what you mean about how well they wash and hold up, with few wrinkles.

    I scrolled down and read your post on cataract surgery, hoping all went well with the second eye too and that you are amazed at how clearly you see now. I went through that about 5 years ago and am so glad I got it taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your porch is beautiful! What is that wicker piece next to the chaise? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. It's a Lamp---usually it has a fern inside the planter base, but it's been too hot. Originally, they had long white fringe and lined in silk---most often used for funeral homes next to the casket to light----. My mom had it for years in her Centennial porch with red liner and red fringe.

      Delete
  6. O MY!! I just love your porch and all your beautiful wicker furniture and wonderful treasures....Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, it's my Victorian streak showing in that room.

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Debbie. I had shared as my second post I think when I started blogging, but no one saw it, unless they dug in the archives. It's such a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so cozy and inviting, I would love to sit in that chaise lounge on my porch if I had one
    It is all so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much--We really can entertain out there...I'm allergic to insect bites...so I can be outside and enjoy the yard from here, and it's great for entertaining.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful porch, Sandi! I really love the table...and that chaise is where I'd be sitting all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, yes the chaise is perfect for laptop---working. Thanks for stopping by, Sandi.

      Delete
  10. I have a real fondness for white wicker! Lovely! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I still have two pieces to paint...yet.

      Delete
  11. What a great porch!! I am so jealous! I always wanted an enclosed porch!
    Thanks for visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any and all comments. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments in replies or email! HUGS!