Grandparents, DIY-REDO furniture project
A sneak peek!
I know this is an OLD project, but we were so excited in 2012 to
finally become grandparents in our mid-sixties.
Here's my son, Kurt, and his beautiful wife, Richelle, at a small baby shower we had on our porch. Baby food on breadsticks was the party game---amazing how few items were identified. Some of the following pictures are from old photo scans, so bear with me.
But onward to our REDO PROJECT!
My husband and I are great DIY-ers and I had all this odd-ball furniture left over
from my walkin-BarberryLane-shop in the garage.
The kids had no baby furniture picked out, other than a NEW crib from Ikea--
honestly I am not getting reimbursed by Ikea.
But, it was the smallest crib we could find
Richelle could reach over, because she is so tiny.
So, we took two of my OLD shop shelving units (they had held sheep's milk soap)
from my stash and a beat-up old dresser, I think I found for five-dollars
and proceeded to paint with some grass-GREEN satin enamel and some wooden flowers!
Tiny 89 pound Richelle, next to a shelf.
Now the flowers were from my parent's craft stashes. They supplemented their
retirement income in the 1970-80's by doing craft shows.
So, the REDO dresser, shelves, and flowers were also something OLD,
just like the expectant Grandparents.
Here's a picture of all the flowers my dad made and my mom painted.
I wish I had the teddy bear chair, they were adorable.
I picked a palette of quite a few NEW colors of satin acrylic enamels.
I added a few pre-cut wooden shapes and tweaked their colors,
all in a garden and bug theme.
The white bunny was a garden ornament from my parent's craft stash.
The pieces were all screwed from the back or glued and nailed.
Colorful and Cute!
My dad, Jerry, and one of his many projects, a custom made rocking horse.
He would have loved working on this project.
Here's the dresser finished, with the installed changing table top added, this was pegged and easily removed.
The tiny baby we were expecting outgrew it in like 2 months.
She's very tall now and will be wearing her mom's clothes
by the time she starts school, lol.
Painting all those knobs was a pain, I swear, 4 coats of craft enamel. I stuck them in styrofoam on their screws to keep them all straight.
We dragged the three pieces up the stairs, that was the hardest.
Ready for installation…all three pieces were bolted together for safety.
The color on this photo is closer to the actual, bright,
clean, kid-friendly paint, and very GREEN color.
Total cost was maybe $20 dollars for paints and the knobs were originals or from my stashes, and $5 for hardware.
Hubby (Grandpa) after installing the last bolt. We finished just in time, baby Jerri was born on 10/11/12 about a week later..
NEW Jerri, named for my Dad, slept soundly surrounded by three generations of ~LOVE~
in this OLD~~ NEW~~GREEN~~ REDO furniture project.
Phew, I got them all in again!
Linking at these great parties:
As always, thanks for stopping by,
All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions or posts. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle